Aggressive Eater in Community Tank Eats ALL the Food!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by yankeegirl718, Aug 12, 2015.

1. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

Hello,
    I have a 20 gallon community tank with just glofish danios, neon tetras & cory catfish. One of my glofish is fully grown and is an extremely aggressive eater, eating most, if not all, of the food when i feed them. Then, she looks overfed and after a fasting day will look normal again. I don't know how to keep her from being overfed and eating all the food, allowing everyone else to get their fair protion of food with every feeding, especially with fasting days in between.
    Thanks in advance for any advice! ☺

2. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Hi and welcome!

I usually target feed all my fish. So for example, I will drop a tiny pinch right where my guppies are on top to distract them, then I will drop another tiny pinch where my filter is so the water flow will sink the food to my corys. Usually works so that both top/mid/bottom dwellers get a fair share. :)

3. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

Hi, and thank you! ☺

This is exactly how i try to feed them every time. But, the one glofish is so aggressive, she darts around and manages to get most of the food.
    I've been also dropping some pellets in below the surface so they sink quickly for the tetras and corys, but she even manages to get most of the pellets AND eats sunken ones off rhe gravel before the corys can get to them. It's so frustrating, and i feel bad for all the other fish.

4. el337Fishlore LegendMember

I also grind/crush my flakes and pellets for 2 reasons - 1. easier to eat and 2. the smaller portions are spread out a little more making it easier for the schools of fish to get some.

I also have fed them after lights out at night because corys have an easier time finding the food than the rest of the fish.

5. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much! I'll definitely try that! Fingers crossed!

6. AndyVEValued MemberMember

Drop a pellet (sinking food) in for the cories when the light goes out.

Mine still search for food when the lights just went out.
    Gives them more chance to get something,

7. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

I will try this. I do still think my glofish may get to it first tho only because they are so active all the time, even with the lights out. She also, clearly, is always looking for food when i approach the tank, even when just observing them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice