ben_r

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have five of what I believe are rosy tetras, based on:
- faint reddish tinge to the silver coloration
- bottom fins are red with white tips
- tail fin has red tips
- dorsal fin has a prominent black spot with a white tip

They're generally described as peaceful schooling fish, but there appears to be some sort of power struggle going on here. One of the largest ones often chases after the others, which flee. I haven't seen any nipping, just charging. The smallest one occupies the upper half of the tank, away from the others.

First, do I actually have rosy tetras, based on the description? Second, is there some sort of gender/territory politics going on here? Has anyone seen rosy tetras bully around others?

Thanks in advance,
\Ben

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes it sounds like the is what you have. How many do you have? They are a schooling fish and like to be in a group of 5+. A lot of times the larger one's will tend to try to rule the pack with tetras (I have red eyed tetras who act the same way) and the smallest one is usually off hiding. However, watch them during feeding. Do they all seem to get a fair share or is one trying to make sure he is the only one eating? It's possible to get a bad apple in the bunch, that if returned to the pet store might fix things. Or getting more (if you only have 2 or 3) might draw away his attention away from being a bully and just having fun. Other times I've heard of removing the bully only to have the next largest take his place. Everyone's case seems to be a bit different, however, if there isn't any actual fin nipping then it shouldn't be a real problem.

ben_r

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. I have five Rosy Tetras, then, and their behavior seems to have stabilized a bit. They all seem to get enough food.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. As long as they seem to be getting along for the most part (no actual damage done by their antics) then this is fairly normal behavior for tetras. Good luck with them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom