Aggressive Diamond Tetra

1. myriad1973 Well Known Member Member

I have a shoal of 8 Diamond Tetra and today I noticed some unusual things going on. This morning I noticed one of my cories has its tailfin nearly gone and resting on a leaf, which surprised me since I haven't had any trouble with them as they have been flourishing in my new tank. Then later on I witnessed one of the Diamonds take another chomp out of the cory's tail fin! Shortly thereafter, the same exact tetra lashed out at one of my new juvenile apistos I added to the tank the other day. I never expected this kind of behavior out of Diamond Tetra, especially when I have a shoal of 8. Very strange. I guess it may be time for me to find them a new home, along with my Odessa Barbs. They both must be the same reason my gouramis hide all the time too. Too boisterous.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Sometimes fish simply just do not get along. No rhyme or reason really. Just like a neighborhood there tends to be that 1 bad apple :)

Keep us posted.

Ken

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Why don't you just try removing that one fish, since you're able to single him out. Toss him into a QT and see if the main tank settles down. If it were my tank, I'd hate to lose an entire school if it's just one fish creating an issue.

4. myriad1973 Well Known Member Member

I thought about doing that, but this has been part of a bigger issue. Diamond Tetras and Odessa Barbs are very vigorous, competitive fish and they tend to be very dominant over the other fish in this tank, especially at feeding time. Ever since I introduced them, my Pearl Gouramis (who are very timid to begin with), the male especially, have become very withdrawn and only come out at night when everybody is asleep. In a sense, these fish have disturbed the overall peaceful balance of the tank as a whole, including fin-nipping and other behaviors I've witnessed. I've given it a lot of thought for a while and I would like all the fish to thrive, including the gouramis, and it can't happen with the Odessas and Diamonds in the tank. I will find some less boisterous fish to replace them with. They will do much better in a more semi-aggressive environment with more competitive, energetic fish.

5. myriad1973 Well Known Member Member

I successfully removed the Barbs and Diamond Tetra and donated them to a LFS yesterday. Almost immediately after they were removed, the demeanor of the tank changed. Within a few hours the more timid, oppressed fish are out and about swimming around and eating normally again. The gouramis are hiding a bit still, but are becoming more comfortable again and aren't as easily scared. My replacement fish are a Banded Gourami (who is doing very well, even with the other gouramis), a pair of Bolivian Rams (I always wanted Geos, so this is the closest I can come to them), and I have a pair of Keyhole Cichlids and Golden Dwarf Cichlids coming in the mail on Friday, so my tank will finally be complete and thriving. I'm much happier now and so are they.