Aggressive Denison's Barbs/Roseline Sharl/Torpedo Barb

ccMoon

Hi, I've currently got six juvenilles of these fish about 1" long in a 55 gallon tank. I read extensively for peaceful schooling barbs before getting them and finally settled on denison's barbs because almost everywhere listed them as peaceful and as "peaceful despite being listed as semi-aggressive at LFS". I've had 4 for about 2 weeks and I got 2 more a couple days ago, and so far, it has not been peaceful and they seem to be like any other barb. Like large schools, establish pecking order, fin nip and chase each other. The few posts on the internet (all in one forum topic) that did mention aggressive denison barbs said that it was isolated to the temperament of individual fish, so I took the one most aggressive one out, and then suddenly three were being aggressive (presumably trying to be the new head of the pecking order). To quell this new power struggle, I put the former dominant one back in and now 70%, it's just that one acting aggressive again. Now this wouldn't be a problem if the fish weren't getting injured, but I see the back fin of two of the less dominant barbs ripped all the way through. Also of note, two of the "aggressive" ones had pre-damaged fins when I bought them. The wounds were both similar in nature, top corner of back fin ripped off, so it didn't seem like disease but more like a common accident. And I didn't attribute it to aggression because my impression this entire time were that these barbs are entirely peaceful. Except, they aren't entirely peaceful at all.

Can anyone tell me anything else about the temperament of these guys? School size should definitely be adequate at this point and adding more individuals hasn't helped me in the past with tiger barbs. The barbs still just keep picking on the weakest few in both cases.

jtittle22

Hi, I have 5 of these (full grown) in a 75 gallon tank. They are housed with a school of Cardinals (11), a school of JuliI Corys (5), Zebra Danios (6) and 2 plecos and they do not show any aggression towards them or each other. I did get these guys from a rescue when they were adults so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to them being peaceful, beautiful fish...

-Josh

Thai Aquarium owner

Firstly, welcome to the forum.
Your LFS really don't know what they are talking about, the Denison Barb is a peaceful fish, and its AKA of " Roseline Shark " only refers to the shape of the fish.
I have a school of 9 Denison Barbs, that are housed with some BoesemanI Rainbows.
There will always be some mild aggression within a school of fish to establish a pecking order, but I have never witnessed any really aggressive behaviour from my school of fish towards each other, or toward the rainbows.
The Denisons when small will be very active in the tank, chasing each other around, and following in and around plants Etc, which could give the impression of aggression, which is not the case.
They are meerly having a good time, as a species from a flowing river environment.
You school size is adequate, and you just need to allow the fish to settle IMO

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Polaris
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
Jaysee
  • Thai Aquarium owner
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
Thai Aquarium owner