Aggressive Dalmation Molly

Emd18

I had recently gotten 3 fish that I kept in a 5 gallon tank for approx. [1 month].
A Sunburst platy [ female]
Dalmatian molly [ male]
Pleco [ gender unknown]

I noticed after a couple of weeks the Dalmatian Molly would not stop harassing the Platy. However, The molly does not bother the pleco. Recently I upgraded to 10 gallons but the Molly still follows the platy sometimes nipping at her, especially during feeding. I know Mollies are always trying to mate so what other fish can I buy to divert my Molly's attention and stop it from harassing my platy so much. I also do not want to overstock my tank. I would rather not have mollies that would breed.

I have the five gallon tank as a back up in case there is nothing I can do about it.
I have live plants and a hiding cave.
Water is around 76 degrees.
The parameters of the tank are all around 0 after I quick cycled using my old filter.
Help! I don't want my platy to be beat up to the point it dies.

krack499

That 10 gallon is too small for any single one of those fish let alone all 3 it may just be a territorial thing since it's a small tank

Al913

WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

As mentioned above none of those fish should be in the 5 gallon except the platy. The molly needs a 29 gallon tank due to their bioload. What type of pleco? The minimum tank for a pleco is a 29 gallon however some require more such as a 6 feet tank depending on the kind. Mollys are territorial as well as a lot of live bearers when they don't have enough space.

I suggest rehome the molly and pleco!

Emd18

I guess I will get a tank divider for now. I can't do much about the tank size for a little while. I'll have to keep an eye on the parameters because they excrete so much waste.

tworobots

I had a female platy (she died today) and a male molly. They bred and I now have their hybrid baby. I read online somewhere that mollys and platys won't breed because they're not of the same genus (but mollys and guppies will), but my molly and platy did breed.
Perhaps your molly is chasing your platy around for mating purposes. Apparently the ratio for livebearer peace is 2-3 females per male (so the male can spread the harassment around), but, ya, then you might get lots of babies. Going forward, my plan is to keep males and females in separate tanks and hope they get along that way (although I haven't tried it yet).

Al913

I had a female platy (she died today) and a male molly. They bred and I now have their hybrid baby. I read online somewhere that mollys and platys won't breed because they're not of the same genus (but mollys and guppies will), but my molly and platy did breed.
Perhaps your molly is chasing your platy around for mating purposes. Apparently the ratio for livebearer peace is 2-3 females per male (so the male can spread the harassment around), but, ya, then you might get lots of babies. Going forward, my plan is to keep males and females in separate tanks and hope they get along that way (although I haven't tried it yet).
Mollys and platys can't breed due to biology since they are of different genus. However most likely the platy was already pregnant before hand. Sometimes at the pet store there might be a male mistaken as a female in the tank and pregnate al the females. Female live bearers can store sperm and use it 2-4x.

tworobots

I got the female platy from the pet store approx. Jun 26. I think the baby was born around August 4th-6th. Could she have stored the sperm for over a month? The pet store I got her from appears to make no attempt to separate male and female livebearers.

Al913

I got the female platy from the pet store approx. Jun 26. I think the baby was born around August 4th-6th. Could she have stored the sperm for over a month? The pet store I got her from appears to make no attempt to separate male and female livebearers.
I suggest you start a new thread so we don't hijack this one! Just tag me when you create the new thread!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Rebecca Mize
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Rebecca Mize
Replies
Views
Chakla
  • squish123
  • Molly
Replies