Aggressive Blod Parrot

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by Taryn_540, Apr 9, 2017.

1. T

Taryn_540 New Member Member

Hello, my blood parrot has suddenly started acting more aggressive lately. He has been in a new 30 gallon tank for about 3 weeks. He dug a little nest type area behind a mountain and today I came home and saw he had dug an entire area in front of the mountain all the way to the bottom of the tank! The past couple times I have done water changes he has pecked and nibbled at my hand which just tickles but it is unusual behavior. I tried moving the mountain because it was crooked and he wouldn't let me he just kept trying to get my hand out of the way. I thought maybe it was a female and was going to lay eggs but I'm not sure because this has been going on for a week or so. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

He (or she) is claiming a territory. What other fish do you have in the tank? He/she may or may not attack them, depending on if he/she thinks they're a threat.

A 30 gal is too small for a permanent tank for a BP, by the way :)

3. OP
    OP
    T

Taryn_540 New Member Member

It is just the one fish right now, he used to be with another blood parrot and that one was aggressive towards him and he just accepted it. I just thought it was odd that he has suddenly become aggressive!

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Well now he has his own tank to take care of!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice