Aggressive Balloon Molly

1. E

Emily Rose New Member Member

Hi! So I have a 15 gallon tank and I bought a new fish, a balloon Molly, to go in it. However, the Molly is acting very aggressively towards the other fish, and especially my betta. My betta and her were fighting and at first the betta (female) initiated it. But now the Molly is actively going after my betta, who has a torn fin. I'm not sure what to do, should I put her in a separate tank, or see if she calms down after getting transitioned. I just got her today.

My tank has live plants, a heater, a filter, and an air stone. It also has a couple of hiding spots for them. In it, other than the betta and Molly, I have 3 neon tetra, 2 cory catfish, 1 suckerfish that I'm not sure what it is, and a snail.

She is currently actively chasing the betta around the tank, and not just protecting a single area as it seemed she was before. It looks as though she may be trying to fight with the tetra as well, but they didn't fight back like the betta so she ignores them mainly.

2. Ethan Murray

Ethan Murray New Member Member

Hey there,
    I find that most Molly's don't do well with Bettas either due to the Molly showing interest in the Bettas fins or just a temperment issue.
    Also, if the Betta has been in this tank for awhile it probably has claimed most of the territory paying not much attention to the tetras which leads to the aggressive behaviour towards the Molly especially if the Molly is close in size with your Betta. I would recommend either removing one of the two, or rescaping your tank.
    Hope this helped :)

3. OP
    OP
    E

Emily Rose New Member Member

After I watched her for a while, I noticed it got worse, as she started just eating away at one of the tetras that didn't even move away from her.... so I didn't want to risk waking up to a dead tank, so I moved the Molly to a separate 2.5 g. Will probably just keep her there. And yes, the Betta was the first fish in the tank actually, so she has claimed the territory for the most part, but my one sucker fish was slightly more aggressive and claimed the log from the Betta and she hasn't fought him for it back. So I think the Molly is the main issue.

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

A 2.5g is way too small for a molly as they are active and produce a large bioload. I would try and return it.