aggressive angelfishes

1. nat72sherman Initiate Member

Hi all, new to the forum as well as to the hobby.

I got a 20 gal high tank. Stocked with 4 small angelfishes and 2 corys. One Angelfish is aggressive and pick on all 3 of the other ones. My dad has a 30 gallon community tank, so I thought I throw him in there. Now another angelfish seem to take over the role as the aggressor. What should I do?

2. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

how big are they?

3. nat72sherman Initiate Member

they are small

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Keep in mind that Angelfish are Cichlids and may well display aggressive Cichlid behavior. Some members have had good success keeping multiple Angels in the same tank, others haven't been so lucky.

There will probably always be 1 that wants to be King of the tank. It's kind of like a pecking order.

Other than finding a new home for the fish, you might try rearranging the tank. It might help or it might not.

Best wishes for your fish and keep us posted.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Attached Files:

5. nexigen Member Member

I'm not an expert in this but what about adding a few more Corys? I know they like to be grouped in at -least- 5, preferably more, so they have that safety in numbers feeling. Would the angelfish still be aggressive against a small school of them?

6. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Yes, you are right, the cories should be in groups of at least 5, but the angelfish are aggressive with each other.

First off, what Ken said is right. Remove the dominant, and the next in line will take over as leader. It will just keep happening, and in a small tank like a 20 (with the foot print of a 10) you are bound to have problems, even with 2 angels.
    IMO, your tank is simply not suitable, even for one angel. They get large, and can be territorial with other angels. It would be better to get a 25 gallon. Is there anyway you can sell this one and set up a more appropriate tank?
    I don't know what your dad has in the 30, or what the dimensions are, but depending on that you may be able to keep 2 if they get along.

I would suggest returning some of the angels, or, if you updated to at least a 25-29gallon you can keep two in there and keep two that get along the best in the 30, IF dimensions and stock are appropriate (could you let us know this info please?).

7. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

I agree^

the fish would be much happier in a little bit bigger tank. What is in your dads tank?

8. jbdub Member Member

I had 2 x angelfish in a community for 3 months and one day the male just snapped and killed the female and my fighting fish.
    Always taking a risk keeping cichlids

9. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

You just have to know what fish to keep with them :)

10. nat72sherman Initiate Member

thank you all for replying.

Just when I'm about to type the pecking has stopped for the last 2 days, I see the current dominant one pecking the others. But it's no where as bad as when I had 4 of them in there.

After reading MD Angels' post, I'm really considering upgrading to a 30 long. I'll see. If I get a 30long, what else can I keep in it with the 3 or 2 angels?

As far as the corys, they're fine, it's just among the angels.

11. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

i would add some more corys. In my 29g i only have corys and 2 angels and a BN pleco with lots of plants. IMO i think just those two kinds of fish look great together

12. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

What size are these angels? Is the body quarter sized or larger? Were all 4 angels added at once? Are there tall plants (fake or real) or other decor that breaks the line of sight across the tank?

What are your current water parameters?

It would be most helpful if you would take a few minutes to provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. It will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

With the aggression your angels may be maturing as they tend to not fight when very young.

Can you post pictures?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to have a complete understanding of your tank. You can easily keep 4 immature angels in a 20Long or even 2 adults.

13. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

1+
    The reason I suggested a larger tank, of course, is for long term. Angels need taller aquariums, to accomodate their taller long finned bodies.

I think a 25(20"high)or a 29(18"high) gallon is more ideal than a 30gallon(16"high)and especially not a 30 gallon breeder(12"high). I would also not keep an adult pair in a 20 long (12"high), but that is MO.
    ( http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm)

As CAtsma mentioned, having tall and larger plants etc to break lines of sight and establish cover is important when dealing with aggressive species. As they mature, they will start to work out the pecking order.

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah a 20 isn't good for larger angels, but I use them for my smaller breeders. Not that I'd recommend it, and this is a short term set up, but my 55G is holding 25 angels. It is my growout tank and there is no aggression with angels ranging from dime size to young adults. This is why I was asking about size...you can estimate age and determine maturity.