Aggressive Angelfish Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bruce Peterson, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Bruce Peterson

Bruce PetersonNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    I have a pair of breeding black marble veil tail angels. They are in a 54 gal corner tank by themselves. The male is about 5-6 inches tall and the female is around 4 inches. I bought these in a PetSmart. They were in a 20 gallon tank which seemed small for them. They were not priced so I asked the girl working there how much and she said $8.00. I said $16.00 for the pair and she said no, $8.00 for both of them. Well I thought that was a good buy so I bought them. She also said they were both males and I said fine. Brought them home and put them into my 75. Everything was fine for about 10 days when we noticed that they were very aggressively running all the other fish out of one side of the tank. Then we noticed the eggs. We had no idea how to proceed but we ended up putting the eggs and the plant they were on in a 10 gallon nursery tank. They continued to be aggressive and killed at least one large silver dollar who was just too slow to avoid them. So we went and bought this 54 gallon tank and all the needed equipment. Our luck with that group of eggs was futile. We eventually were able to get 4 babies to around quarter size and put them in with mom and dad. They were gone the next day.They have had several egg lays that have produced many fry but so far I have been unable to get any survivors. I have been trying to get this aquarium fully planted. Our first attempt after many years in the hobby with plastic plants. My problem is hair algae. I have read many posts here and elsewhere of people having good luck with various algae eaters. I went to my local PetSmart and bought a young (small) Plecostomus. He went missing within a few days. These two angels are aggressive. Can any one give me an idea as to a breed of algae eater that might stand a chance with these two

2. candiedragon

candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +846
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I probably would not rely on algae eaters as most may give up on algae as they grow older, will not bother with hair algae, or they may not be suitable for your setup.

I would recommend that you address the source of the problem rather than partaking in a constant battle with the problem. Usually an algae problem is due to long periods of lighting and too many nutrients in the water. Here are the big important steps to take:
    1. Decrease the amount of time that the tank lighting is on, I would say cut it down 2-3 hours from the usual.
    2. Increase frequency of water changes.
    3. Decrease the amount of food that is given at feeding time.
    Also consider these as an optional yet very helpful tools in combating algae:
    1. Invest in phosphate-eliminating filter media.
    2. Dose the tank with liquid fertilizers to help the live plants out-compete the algae. I would recommend NilocG's Thrive or Flourish if not. Alternatively you could try CO2 or liquid carbon dosing

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Greetings and welcome to Fishlore

@candiedragon offers good advice.

4. OP
    OP
    Bruce Peterson

Ratings:
    +6
    I have a pressurized CO2 system but I have been reluctant to start it as I assumed it would blow the algae up. I just changed out the filters in the FX4 Fluval in this tank. I have a Fluval 404 that is not being used. Should I fill it with phosphate eliminating media and add it to this tank?

5. candiedragon

Ratings:
    +846
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You can try starting the CO2 system, and you can certainly try adding (not replacing) phosphate-eliminating media to the filter(s) being ran on this tank especially if you realize you have been feeding a lot and not doing enough water changes. Plants thrive on a consistent balance of nutrients, whereas algae can take the lead when there's inconsistencies. If you can balance out the nutrients and keep the balance consistently, this will give your plants a big boost that will allow them to out-compete the algae for nutrients. Non-mineral nutrients that plants crave are hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon and usually carbon is missing or fluctuate in levels. In any case, it will take a while for the problem to be fixed once your tank is in the process of balancing out again and maintained.

But the biggest fix you can do right now is reduce lighting and feeding, and increase water changes. This will help reduce the extra nutrients that are in your tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Bruce Peterson

Ratings:
    +6
    I will cut back on the feeding and restrict light. Do I need to cover the tank to prevent ambient light? I will also get my CO2 system started and finally I will fill my old Fluval 404 with anti phosphate media. Is there a particular bran or type you can recommend? Thank for your help!

7. candiedragon

Ratings:
    +846
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    So long as the tank is not sitting in direct sunlight then you should not need to cover it up. There's no particular brand I would recommend, this will be a temporary element to help soak up extra nutrients anyway on top of water changes and reduced feedings.

Become a Fishlore Member