?

Breeding Behavior or Aggression?

1. Aggression

2. Breeding

3. Idk

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Hello. As a lot of you know, I have a 55-gallon set-up with eleven danios, nine corydoras, one albino rainbow shark, one albino bristlenose pleco, and a bunch of snails. Every once in a while, I’ll catch a certain group of danios chase a single danio until it ends up wedged between a rock, breathing heavily. It seems rather stressful for the poor thing that get chased. This usually happens early in the morning and happens to random danios by random danios. I heard somewhere that these guys mate for life and I’ve never actually seen any eggs, so I doubt that it’s breeding behavior. Just making sure. If a danio gets close enough, it’ll kind of twist it’s body around the victim and then they’d dash away from each other. Nobody gets hurt, though. Thanks to anyone that responds.

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

They do not mate for life, they spawn with whomever is willing and ready. I'd bet the males a chasing the females, as they often do during spawning. It is the male that twists a bit around the female and then they dash away after releasing their milt/eggs. I'd look really close when they do this, you will probably see tiny, completely clear eggs scattering. Them doing this in the mornings is characteristic of danios. What species of danio are they? Can you try sexing them to see if it really is males going after females?

3. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

There are seven zebra danios and the rest are long-finned leopards. How do I identify between females and males? The zebras are quite young, so it will be hard to base it off of size for them. Even if they have laid eggs, wouldn’t they just get eaten?

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

The eggs would indeed get eaten, but you should still see them right when they are being laid. Zebra danios are just one of those fish that breed all the time, even if you don't see any fry/eggs.

As for how to sex them, males have a "torpedo" shaped body and usually a golden/yellow color to them. Their bodies are often more streamline than females. A female will be fat around the belly and have no golden color, they're mainly silvery. Keep in mind that the long finned leopards are the same species as the zebras, just selectively bred for their appearance. They will spawn together.

5. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Do you have any suggestion as to how I could breed them and care for the eggs? I can see a very noticeable difference in color between the fish, but not really in the shape and size.

Attached Files: