Aggression in my tank or the decorations are too sharp.

1201td

I currently have at least 5 baby guppies, 1 adult guppy, and 2 neon tetras. And well, when my last guppy died i noticed he had marks on his body. I recently replaced my last cave that was in my tank cuz the previous one had a piece that was broken off. However, based on that death I don’t think it was the caves fault. Whenever I only have 1 guppy in the tank she does very well. Currently contemplating whether it was aggression between the fish or maybe the cave doesn’t have enough smooth edges? I have images of the two hides i have in the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 5

A201

Probably not an aggression issue, or the cave. Plastic plants tend to be rigid & might be more likely to cause injury.

Akeath

You can test whether the decor is the problem. Just get a piece of pantyhose and rub it along the decorations. I would do this for both the cave and the plastic plants. If any of the decor causes tears or runs on the pantyhose, it can also damage fins. If not, the decor should be safe for fish.

Neon Tetras, while not normally fin nippers, can get a bit nippy when kept in groups of less than 6. So it's possible than the Neons may be being nippy because they don't have a large enough school.

Another possibility is that the marks are sores from disease or parasites. If you see a live fish with marks, you should post a picture so we can see if it is actually a mark from disease. If your fish have parasites, you may see them rubbing against the decor in an effort to rub the parasites off of their bodies. Lastly, fish will eat dead tankmates, so the marks could have happened after death from the live fish picking at the corpse.

emeraldking

Well, it's obvious that a real cause of the injuries is a bit hard to determine. Try to feel if there are certain edges or an overpress at those decorations. If it's a matter of aggression, you should notice it at some point.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • FlyingDutchman
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Fishiekk
Replies
Views
NikkiKennedy
  • Kittenluna
  • Guppy