Aggression And Territory? Help

1. sweendog87 Member Member

Hey guys my dragon blood has established a territory and is terrorising everyone is this normal and does it last long as it's the first sign of real aggression in the tank since I set it up 3 months ago every other fish has been pushed to the other side bloody bully should I do something about it now or wait [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Matty6477 Member Member

You could try and rearrange the decor in the tank, which would mean the cichlids would have to claim new territories.

3. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

What size tank do you have (dimensions plz). And is he the only dragon blood in the tank? They are pretty aggressive, males especially, and I'm not too surprised as you don't have a lot of decoration to break up the line of sight; hence why's he's going after everyone. I do notice that he is very similarily colored to your other cichlids in the tank, and this is most likely contributing to his bullying (they tend to go after those whom look like him because he wants to be the dominant male). If the aggression gets really bad, youll most likely have to remove him or rehome him

4. DIYhack Member Member

Yah I would add some rock or something to break the line of sight.

I also have a 20g Time out tank. If I can spot a bully he will go on time out for a week or so. I'll do a total new scape then add. That usually resets the colony structure.

Just happened recently got 6 new peacocks added them and all got thrashed and nipped. 6 went to 20g time out for a couple days. New scape and add. They fit right in with the rest now.

5. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

That's very interesting. Just out of curiosity, have you tried isolating in the tank? This way, he still sees them, but cant do anything (I did this when I set up my first sorority, I would isolate in the tank, and soon my bully gave up being mean because she didn't like the smaller space while watching all the other fish swimming about and getting fed (lol yes, I put her in a food timeout too)). 20g is a very nice timeout tank lol, that's quite generous lol

6. DIYhack Member Member

Never done in tank before but seems like the same principal. I set my Time out almost at a L from my main so it's almost like they are in it.

But yah it's the only thing I've figured that helps. Time outs and redoing the scape. I redo my scape about every 2-3 weeks (nothing crazy though)