Agassiz's Cichlid spawned! I've got EGGS!!

1. gourami88 Member Member

I came home for lunch and my Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlids were right in the middle of laying eggs. Mama is doing a great job of guarding them and Dad is patroling the tank and keeping the fish away from their area.

Took some pictures, enjoy! Will post updates about the eggs and fry and updates come up.

Attached Files:

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Yey! What pretty fish! Spring must be in the air, my angels spawned today too.

3. gourami88 Member Member

I guess, must be the "spring fever" lol. Got the fry tank all ready to go. I'll wait until they hatch to move them, don't want to damage the eggs and mom is guarding them well enough.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

the changes in weather, do provoke spawning in many fish..and this one is amazing looking!!!! never heard of them before :) hope the spawn all hatch!

5. gourami88 Member Member

Me too! Will be keeping a close eye on them. It means plenty of H2O changes to keep the water as clean as possible.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

add a sponge over your filter intake (in case you havent yet) so you dont loose any babies~!!! again, amazing fish.... I like them alot!

7. foxhill2 Member Member

How exciting! What beautiful Apistos :) Good luck & keep us posted on them .

8. gourami88 Member Member

Their is a sponge filter over all of my filter intakes, just in case.

9. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

So cool looking! exactly what type is this?

10. gourami88 Member Member

I don't really know. My LFS just had them labeled as Agassizi dwarf cichlids. What do you mean by type? They are domestic, not wild caught.

11. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Like scientific name there are lots of different ones

12. gourami88 Member Member

apistogramma agassizii is the scientific name

13. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

14. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Thank you butterfly!

15. gourami88 Member Member

Mine are a captive bred Blue-Red color strain. Sorry, been working WAY too much :;toast

16. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

they are awesome looking apistos!

17. gourami88 Member Member

Yes they are! Not afraid of a thing either! My 3-year-old will go running up to the tank and they come charging to the front hoping she has food for them. They will take anything right out of your hand and have such individual personalities, it is great!! Thinking about getting my 40g. set up and cycling and possible starting another breeding group. My LFS has laid claims to this batch of babies, and considering they do produce lower numbers and breed less often having 2 breeding groups might not hurt. Plus I just love them and would love to get another color strain, since I really like the Fire-Red color variant as well.

18. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Yeah I'm diffently going to get a pair for my 125 down the road

19. gourami88 Member Member

Sorry I haven't posted on this in a while.

Update on the first batch: My friend is raising them in her 30 gallon grow out tank. So far they are doing really good!

Another update: BOTH my females spawned today! First Jules laid eggs in one of the caves, and then Juliet started spawning in a depression on a piece of driftwood. The male was attentive to both females during the seperate spawnings, so I think i'm going to wind up with a LOT of little fry :p I know I can't get pics of the eggs in the cave without disturbing Jules, but I may be able to get pics of Juliet's batch.