After Water Change Betta Gasping At Bottom Of Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilontano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mr Fish has been with us for 1 year now, he was in his usual state of health until after a water change 2 days ago. ..he lives in a 3 gallon tank with heater (80-81 degrees) and filter and some nice plants.
Everything was done as per usual - treated tap water, heated to tank temp, all the same containers, etc.. We were in a rush so I know I poured his water in faster than usual but the temp did not seem to change at all as per aquarium thermometer

>Right afterwards he was seen to be clamped, gasping - mouth open, gills working - and staying hidden at the bottom of the tank.
> when he comes to the top he takes a gulp of air and then seems to sink more than swim down
>Air bubbles have been seen coming out of his right gill which seems to be the one that he is mostly "breathing with?" now
> he still has an appetite and feeding time is the only time he will spend somel time moving about
> no poo seen so nothing to report there
> nothing seen as far as spots or discoloration - but a little hard to really get a look at him
> he doesn't look bloated

Did try to move his "habi-trail" tube up so part of it is now out of the water so he could lay in it and more easily get surface air...but he tried it once or twice and then just sunk back down behind his plants ..

Water parameters are good: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10

I was hoping this would resolve on it's own and was actually afraid to do anything like another water change fearing it would just stress him out more - but over 48 hours he may even be if anything weaker.

I have been feeding him because I'm sure all those huffing and puffing is exhausting and he IS hungry- but was wondering if people would "fast" him at this point, maybe he has a blockage??? (air bubbles out of gill)
Overfeeding? (though he has been on his usual schedule- maybe an extra here and there)
parasites? what would people use??

Help

Last edited:

vilontano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well I have tried to give him a resting place close to the top of the tank with his Habi-trial tube but he doesn't stay in it very long

I am fasting him - which makes me feel like Attila the Hun - he keeps struggling to the corner of his tank where he dances when it is feeding time

I put a strip of poly-filter in his filter - it is supposed to remove lots of different "toxins'

He swims upright - no tilting or tumbling but he is struggling and still gasping about 60 hours now

Lowered his tank water as much as I dared because of his heater and evaporation - don't want to add to his troubles a heater fritz ...
He could sit on his plants now and get to the surface more easily.

he seems to do better with the filter off... anyone know if it would be OK - not more damaging to his health - if I kept it off periodically?

He has looked less clamped down for brief periods, but that right gill is still pumping ( the left not so much)

smhh - this is all very distressing

Last edited by a moderator:

vilontano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well he is now weaker at 72 hours - he is hungry though so I fed him 2 small pellets.

One fish that did recover from something similar got water changes 1 to 2 times a day - so I think I will just try that, as I have nothing else...

the only other thing is API complete cure - that saved his life a year ago when no one knew what was wrong with him...but meds are a stressor

he's in a breeder box and has had his first water change since "the incident"
he looks BAD but he is still HUNGRY!! he is a fighter, so I am going to keep trying along with him
still debating trying a medication

vilontano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
im surprised no one has helped yet. can you post some pics so we can see?
Thanks for the reply - I've tried to get pics no luck His fins are mostly clamped against his body and he barely moves about, he is still "panting" ...gills flaring and mouth open - but more slowly ...and he is spending more time at the top when not curled up or lying flat on his belly...BUT he EATS! he moves slowly but perks up a bit when he sees his food and has no problem chomping down his meals - I've reduced to 2 pellets at a time rather than 3...just to see if eating makes him worse or better...so far I'd say there's no impact

as far as I can see no spots or fuzz or anything on body or gills ...

and he seemed fine until right after that water change

any thoughts appreciated

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the reply - I've tried to get pics no luck His fins are mostly clamped against his body and he barely moves about, he is still "panting" ...gills flaring and mouth open - but more slowly ...and he is spending more time at the top when not curled up or lying flat on his belly...BUT he EATS! he moves slowly but perks up a bit when he sees his food and has no problem chomping down his meals - I've reduced to 2 pellets at a time rather than 3...just to see if eating makes him worse or better...so far I'd say there's no impact

as far as I can see no spots or fuzz or anything on body or gills ...

and he seemed fine until right after that water change

any thoughts appreciated
i really do wish i can help lol i will try but im not the most experienced person. how do his gills look?

Toopel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If he is still hungry I would start giving him crushed blanched peas with the skin removed, it may be constipation since you haven't seen any poop. My betta gets bloated very easily and when he is very bloated he seems to do this same thing where he curls up on my rock with Riccia on it. However, after a few days of fasting and peas he gets a bit better. Give him salt baths that have a tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon in a separate tub for 10-20 minutes each day. If he still wants to eat and doesn't seem interested in the peas, wait it out a few days and then give him a sparse amount of betta pellets soaked in garlic water... I hope this helps at least a little. Best of luck.

vilontano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If he is still hungry I would start giving him crushed blanched peas with the skin removed, it may be constipation since you haven't seen any poop. My betta gets bloated very easily and when he is very bloated he seems to do this same thing where he curls up on my rock with Riccia on it. However, after a few days of fasting and peas he gets a bit better. Give him salt baths that have a tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon in a separate tub for 10-20 minutes each day. If he still wants to eat and doesn't seem interested in the peas, wait it out a few days and then give him a sparse amount of betta pellets soaked in garlic water... I hope this helps at least a little. Best of luck.
does your betta gasp when he is bloated? gills flaring and mouth open?
does he looked bloated?

thanks

i really do wish i can help lol i will try but im not the most experienced person. how do his gills look?
as far as I can tell they are not discolored or have fuzz - same with his body

thanks

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as far as I can tell they are not discolored or have fuzz - same with his body

thanks
hmm its odd how he isnt showing any signs of anything. i would try feeding him the pea like Toopel said to, it cant hurt to try.

@Katie13 @California L33 do you guys have any ideas?

California L33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@Katie13 @California L33 do you guys have any ideas?
I wish I did . The good new is he's eating. The bad news is he's still sick.

I'm not sure if pics would help, but they sure wouldn't hurt. If the OP has a PC then Irfanview will easily resize pics- www.irfanview.com/ Just open the pics in Irvanview and hit Ctrl R then set the biggest side for 1500 or less and save them.

I'd suggest water changes, maybe 40% per day. I've never seen water changes make a sick fish sicker, and have seen it make plenty of sick fish better.

At some point the OP needs to decide whether to start medicating, but it's a tough decision when you have to guess what you're dealing with, and many medicines are tough on fish, so could make things worse.

vilontano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@ Katie13, @California L33

One change - but it is a few weeks ago 2-3 was a bubbler in his water change bucket to heat the water faster and more evenly - I have never checked water parameters after it has been "bubbled" - some people said it would change pH - others said NO WAY....since he had no problems with the 2 previous water changes I felt things were A OK (I had done them B4 i saw that and he was fine.)
But I will check

pics are hard because his small 3 gallon is in a bookcase I really can only see him at odd angles now that he is in the breeder and they don't photo at all

thanks for all the help - I'll post results

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bubbling your water could change the ph some because you are removing some of the disolved gases. You could of also had a chlorine spike.

Savanna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bubbling your water could change the ph some because you are removing some of the disolved gases. You could of also had a chlorine spike.
I'm with you on this one. I first wondered if it was a chlorine spike. Pictures would definitely help immensely. Beyond water changes ( I say yes, 30 to 40 percent each day,) you can add salt to his water (non iodized table or sea salt, OR plain epsom salt but half the following dose to start safe: one tablespoon per five gallons is safe for bettas and usually effective,) making sure to add just enough to make up for what water you replace each time.
Beyond this and making sure your water of fully dechlorinated, I wouldn't necessarily do anything else right away in terms of medicines. As he is not exhibiting many physical symptoms I'd observe him with this and feeding him pea insides, for 1 to 3 days (3 if he's getting better quickly as you go.) Ultimately it's your fish and you make his health decisions and how much you wanna try at once is up to you. I would just for stress purposes limit it to either salt or one medication at a time (antibiotics/antibacterials, anti parasitics, etc) with the pea feeding and fasting for one or two days of his regular food.

Savanna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I never really got into using salt.
There are some uses that are antiquated that we have better ways of doing than using salt, like for instance slime coat production, but for certain things it is still highly useful. I don't typically use aquarium salt, I go for epsom or table (non-iodized) for various things. Infection and ick, as well as certain other maladies, really respond to salt well. I use an instant marine salt for my mollies, obviously, but for ailments it's not really what I'd use. I use it sparingly unless I'm treating something that it would be effective for that another medication may pose a risk to one or more of my tank inhabitants. It can be very therapeutic, so it's something to research just to have the info for and make any choices from there. Some swear by it and some won't ever use it. It's a personal choice which route anyone takes or doesn't with their fish, always

vilontano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bubbling your water could change the ph some because you are removing some of the dissolved gases. You could of also had a chlorine spike.
did pH of tank = 7.3 and change water B4 bubbling = 7.3 and after bubbling = 7.3
that's where is has been at for a year

chlorine spike? even after dechorinating with prime?

There are some uses that are antiquated that we have better ways of doing than using salt, like for instance slime coat production, but for certain things it is still highly useful. I don't typically use aquarium salt, I go for epsom or table (non-iodized) for various things. Infection and ick, as well as certain other maladies, really respond to salt well. I use an instant marine salt for my mollies, obviously, but for ailments it's not really what I'd use. I use it sparingly unless I'm treating something that it would be effective for that another medication may pose a risk to one or more of my tank inhabitants. It can be very therapeutic, so it's something to research just to have the info for and make any choices from there. Some swear by it and some won't ever use it. It's a personal choice which route anyone takes or doesn't with their fish, always
do you add the epsom salt to the tank? if so how much per gallon?

I am going to do the pea for sure - and I am considering the epsom salts
Thank You for the info appreciated

He is mostly lying still in the breeder box and still gasping
- all his water parameters seem stable, bubbled or not so I will do another water change

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
did pH of tank = 7.3 and change water B4 bubbling = 7.3 and after bubbling = 7.3
that's where is has been at for a year

chlorine spike? even after dechorinating with prime?
Then your source water is stable. If you had a chlorine spike you may not of used enough prime to make it safe. It would be so hard to tell at thid point.

vilontano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Then your source water is stable. If you had a chlorine spike you may not of used enough prime to make it safe. It would be so hard to tell at thid point.
he wont eat the pea - it sinks and he doesn't recognize it as food - all I did was agitate him I tried to get some pics while he was moving - he is still gasping and clamped and lying flat at the bottom of the breeder - what do people think?

If I use the epsom salt in the tank would it be a problem IF I wanted to medicate him too?? If I see no response...what do epsom salts do?

and if it was a chlorine spike will he recover?

Thanks - appreciated

Attachments

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it was chlorine it should be red around his gills and with and clean water will heal. I have never used salt in my tanks so im no help there. To treat him you should have an idea of what you are actually treating. With out any real symptoms you could easily hurt him without gaining anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 52 66.7%

Top Bottom