After the trials of the last 4 days, this makes it worth it!

1. claireputput Well Known Member Member

I have to admit that a couple of times this weekend, I thought about breaking down the saltwater reef tank.
    However, after careful consideration, I don't want to do that-I love how it looks compared to all my other tanks. Of course I have my favorites-Oscar, the Angels and Clowns, the Mbuna, the endlers, the frogs, the Betta, the GBR, the Bolivian, the Panda loach.
    Okay, so maybe I love all my tanks and for me, the lights on the saltwater tonight make it all worth while! :)

saltwater90g7.7.14.jpg

And a different view:

saltwater 90g 7.7.14.jpg

So, I am at peace with my tanks-until the next emergency!:;nin2

2. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

There you are :). Looks great and good job pulling through! Seriously though is everything getting back to relative normalcy? I mean livestock, equip. water param's etc...

* I nearly fell off my chair when I read your stocking list the other day!

3. claireputput Well Known Member Member

LOL 1971roadrunner-I am just getting started!
    The tank is doing better-don't think I lost anything but it looks like some took damage-most are starting to get color back. I think they will pull through though. :)
    I order on line and in order to get good prices, I am ordering 5-6.
    I think I am right that corals, sponges, the like don't add to the bio load? Right?

I about fell off my computer chair when I started answering ryanr when he asked about stock!
    I am moving along at a fast clip but I wanted to get things shipped before it gets hot! :)

4. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Yes, they absolutely add to the bioload. Anything that's alive in there will add to the bioload. Even the CUC's and filter feeders that may take up some of the uneaten food, other detritus and what have you still add to this, but that in turn becomes their own waste, which must be broken down then removed.

*the only things that would not contribute to the bioload would be algae, BB etc.. unless they perish in which case they would. There's a few ways to look at this and explain it but the livestock you have- ALL do.

5. claireputput Well Known Member Member

1971roadrunner I had a cleanup crew but lost most all the snails in the incident on the 4th. I haven't seen my brittle star since this happened.
    I do have a seachem ammonia monitor on the tank and no spikes as of yet. I was surprised that the snail deaths did not cause a spike but that was probably due to adding all that ro/di water! :)

6. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Well, the snails apparently had not decomposed yet. Please, when dealing with advanced systems like a PO4 reactor etc.. take your time. I'm very slow in working on my systems even though I'm quite familiar with them and mechanically inclined. There's nothing like water to find a way to cause utter havoc if given even the slightest chance-especially water under pressure!