After the initial tank Cycling

1. dahly Member Member

Once my 29 gallon tank is completely cycled I will want to add two or three Black Hi Fin Tetra's, joining the three White Hi Fin Tetra's already present.  I know that I will still need to check the water to be assured that the tank balance is correct.    I plan to change 20% weekly, using a gravel vac.  When do I start my maintenance regime, and is my plan ok? Thanks in advance.

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

you need to do water changes and gravel vac's each week after you add fish. How are you cycling your tank?
    carol

3. dahly Member Member

At the stores recommendation, after setting up the tank the day before, I purchased the three white tetras. They have been the "troopers" doing all the cycling. Thankfully, they have been hardy and currently are doing very well. The store said not to do anything to the tank until it is completely cycled. I have gone back to have the water tested and will do so weekly. It has just been 10 days since the tetras were introduced. Once it's cycled, do I replace 20%, or add additional fish first? If I add more fish first, how long after do I do the maintenance? I've read so much and spoken to many people, that now I am completely confused. I just want happy fish, as they are a treasure to watch.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Evidently I didn't read your first post very well because you clearly said there were 3 fish all ready in there. Sorry :-[ I personally would do a 20% water change and gravel vac and then add the next batch of fish. Then continue to do tank maintenance each week. It would really be more convenient to get yourself a test kit and do your water tests yoursef. The procedure is very easy and the kits are a good investment. I use the kit made by aquarium pharmaceuticals.
    Yes fish are marvelous and interesting to watch. Just yell if you need anything.
    Carol

5. dahly Member Member

Carol,
    I want to thank you, and I'm sure my fish would too, for your willingness to share you expertise with beginners such as myself. You are very generous with your time and your advice is appreciated. I'll post updates on the progress of my new "little world." I'm sure to have many more questions, begging for answers, too.
    Thanks again,
    Glenn

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Your most welcome!!! As you can tell from this post and others I love to visit and talk about fish. and hey...if I know the answer to something so much the better. I learn new things about my fish and from my fishie friends everyday. Yell if you need anything.
    Carol