After more than a year I broke down

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
saltwater60 said:
Love them. Nice wrasse too.
Thanks. I have both a Melanurus and a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse. Toss up between them and the Anthias for my favorite fish.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
saltwater60 said:
How long have you had the leopard wrasse for. I was always afraid to try one.
More than a year. The trick with Leopard Wrasses is to literally pick the right fish. The trouble is that they are notoriously poor shippers and picky eaters and only the hardier individuals do well long term in captivity. I waited for my LFS to do a bulk order on Leopard Wrasses and then came back a couple of weeks later and picked the one that was brightly colored, very active and eating well. The result was a fish that readily adapted to Nori and adapted to LRS Reef Frenzy a few days later and because it had already been acclimated to a schedule that was near identical to my LFS it spent only a day or two in hiding before it resumed it's regular schedule and has been like clockwork ever since. I know for a fact that at least 3 of the group of 6 Leopard Wrasses that my LFS got in didn't last a month. Mine on the other hand has required ZERO special care as it does well on what I was already feeding my other fish (small feeding of Nori daily and 2 small feedings of LRS Reef Frenzy) Bottom line I definitely wouldn't order one online since you need to observe the individual in question over the course of a week or two before buying one.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Magicpenny75 said:
Also I love your euphylia...those were my absolute favorite coral.
Aren't they great? I've had issues with a number of different types of corals but Hammers and Frogspawns love my tank and have been near bulletproof in terms of care.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Jesterrace said:
Aren't they great? I've had issues with a number of different types of corals but Hammers and Frogspawns love my tank and have been near bulletproof in terms of care.
Is t it funny how that goes. I never could keep a ricordia long term. Most lps, clams, and sps dod great for me. Ricordias always withered away and died.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Jesterrace said:
More than a year. The trick with Leopard Wrasses is to literally pick the right fish. The trouble is that they are notoriously poor shippers and picky eaters and only the hardier individuals do well long term in captivity. I waited for my LFS to do a bulk order on Leopard Wrasses and then came back a couple of weeks later and picked the one that was brightly colored, very active and eating well. The result was a fish that readily adapted to Nori and adapted to LRS Reef Frenzy a few days later and because it had already been acclimated to a schedule that was near identical to my LFS it spent only a day or two in hiding before it resumed it's regular schedule and has been like clockwork ever since. I know for a fact that at least 3 of the group of 6 Leopard Wrasses that my LFS got in didn't last a month. Mine on the other hand has required ZERO special care as it does well on what I was already feeding my other fish (small feeding of Nori daily and 2 small feedings of LRS Reef Frenzy) Bottom line I definitely wouldn't order one online since you need to observe the individual in question over the course of a week or two before buying one.
I know that’s the key. My issue is my LFS only ever got one or two in and they’d be gone fast. Plus my sandy open area was always kind of small for them since they like to burrow. Now my issue is I moved so I don’t have a saltwater tank anymore. Some day I want to do another one just not right now. Kids are getting big and my time is limited. I always wanted seahorses and never did them. I’d do a smaller reef tank with seahorses, some clowns, and a few gobies. Someday!!

that’s a beautiful happy fish you have.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
saltwater60 said:
I know that’s the key. My issue is my LFS only ever got one or two in and they’d be gone fast. Plus my sandy open area was always kind of small for them since they like to burrow. Now my issue is I moved so I don’t have a saltwater tank anymore. Some day I want to do another one just not right now. Kids are getting big and my time is limited. I always wanted seahorses and never did them. I’d do a smaller reef tank with seahorses, some clowns, and a few gobies. Someday!!

that’s a beautiful happy fish you have.
Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom