After Cycling, Do You Change Filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Lovebug903, Mar 22, 2010.

1. L

Lovebug903 Valued Member Member

Hey Everyone. My Tank Is Just About Cycled And I Was Wondering, Do I Leave The Catridge In The Filter Or Change It Before Adding Fish? If Not, When The Time Comes To Change The Cartridge How Do I Go About Changing It So It Doesnt Kill The Bacteria?

2. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

Leave it in for now. You really only need to change it when it starts to fall appart (which is pretty quick with the whisper cartriges... ) Every once in a while when it gets a bit clogged just rinse it in some tank water. Add new charcoal if you want, it's not really necessary. If you have room in the filter you can try to add new media in the filter a week or even more before taking out the old.

3. OP
    OP
    L

I Happen To Have A Whisper Lol...so I Can Just Add Loose Charcoal Inside The Filter For A Week Or So Before Changing The Actual Catridge?

4. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

Yeah.... I cheated... ;) Saw it in your info. It could be my imagination, but I swear they have been making them more cheaply then in the past. And they don't last as long as I think they could.
    You can put carbon in whenever you want. It really isn't necessary unless you are medicating. Then just make sure there is no carbon when you start and add some when you are finished to take out the medicaiton. Hopefully you won't need that though. ;D
    (Sorry, by media I meant filter floss/sponge stuff, that is where your bacteria is growing the most.)

5. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello,

Since your tank is going to be newly cycled soon :D leave the cartridge in for now. You must not replace it unless it's falling apart or starts to get too hard to clean. Until then just take it and swish it around in a bucket of tank water. If you need to replace it just take it and stick it inside the tank for a few weeks for the new cartridge to seed. Your cartridge should be fine for awhile but I don't know how well they hold up as I don't use them. lol

As for the charcoal you don't have to use it. It's more of a personel preferance. That's something you may have to do is dump out the charcoal. It's benefits are removes odors, discoloration, meds and helps keep water clear. I don't use it and my tank water is crystal clear. The other side to it, is that you have to replace it on a monthly basis because it can only absorb so much that's why I mention above to dump it out & add fresh stuff if you want. Also depends on your fish stock.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    L

Thank You So Much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice