After Being Cycled...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nicole B, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

Hi guys!! I have good news. I really think we may be cycled after a long stressful month. Or will be in a few days... anyways!

Today levels were
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5-10
    Though my eyes seem to make the ammonia look green sometimes. Our tap has ammonia so I think that is why the ammonia has been .25 for awhile. Today it was more yellow than light green.

I have a few questions. Sorry if it’s too much. Lol
    After you are fully cycled

1. When do you usually test your levels?

2. When do you do water changes? Once a week or just when nitrate is 40 or above?
    How much do you clean the substrate?

3. Can you stop dosing prime? I still have been dosing just Incase the ammonia is .25

4. Would you still add in stability with water changes? I think that causes our nitrite to rise.

5. When do you clean the biofilter? We haven’t rinsed it yet even. It hasn’t been clogged yet or blinked to be cleaned.

6. What else do we need to do to keep our fish healthy?

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Also if you helped us get through cycling and gave us advice thank you SO much!! We really appreciate you and we couldn’t have done it without everyone on FishLore!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Congratulations!
    I tested weekly for probably the first year. I now test occasionally - every 4-6 weeks or sooner depending on my observation. I do water changes weekly, regardless of nitrate level (except when life gets in the way & it becomes 10-14 days... but I know my nitrates won’t be dangerously high). I add Prime with every water change due to all the other stuff it supposedly detoxifies & because I sometimes have ammonia in my source water.

This is what works for me & my tank. At my local fish store they as much as told me I was nuts for changing water (I do 50%) weekly.

3. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Congratulations! You must be so relieved.

4. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

first off, CONGRATS!! :)

1. we test all parameters once a week. test daily for a week after adding new fish for ammonia & nitrite. the only tank we don't test for ammonia & nitrite weekly is our established 5 month tank. but we will once we add the next stock.

2. water changes weekly to keep nitrates below 20ppm. if your nitrates are rising to or above 40 within a week it means you're over stocked or you have nitrates in your source water. then you'd need to change water more frequently & I'd suggest addressing the underlying cause.

we gravel vacuum about 25% of the substrate once a week. under decorations once a month.

3. dose prime to the volume of new water with weekly water changes or whenever you detect ammonia or nitrite. otherwise you don't need to keep dosing.

4. stability should have no impact on your nitrite. it might increase nitrAtes. you only need to dose stability if you detect ammonia or nitrite or when adding stock.

5. we rinse filter media gently in a bucket of tank water once every month or two. tbh one filter hasn't been cleaned in 3 months & it's fine because we're lightly stocked atm. the higher the bio load the more likely you are to need monthly cleans. don't hateful gravel vac on the same week you clean your filter.

6. don't over feed. feed a varied diet. lots of hiding spots. don't leave lights on too long. enjoy your fish :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice