after almost 3 months

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wcsmik, Nov 25, 2012.

1. wcsmikNew MemberMember

my 5 gallon fresh water tank is almost ready! i started this tank on 9/05/2012

i put way too much ammonia in the beginning so it really slowed down the process.

dont remember when ammonia dropped to 0ppm, but nitrite was really testing my patience. i think i waited for about a month... and the nitrite finally dropped to 0ppm today!

nitrate is at 40ppm at the moment. going to start doing water changes until nitrate is at a acceptable level and im going shopping for fish!

i guess im jus trying to say to anyone whose wondering why their ammonia, or nitrite values are not changing, just give it some time and let it do its thing.:;banaman

original thread here:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-beginners/127664-first-tank-ever.html#post1391165

oh and since this is my first tank, i have no clue on what fish to get. so if you guys can help out with some suggestions i would appreciate it

tank is set up with white/blue led lighting. i was advised for the size of my tank i should stick to 4-5 small fishes (i want colorful ones that'll look great under the blue led at night). i wanted to add a shrimp to clean up the trash on the bottom what do you guys think?

2. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!

There aren't a whole lot of fish that will be comfortable in a 5 gallon tank, and most of the small, colorful ones that I'm sure you're thinking about are schoolers and need at least 20 gallons.

That said, I think that a betta would be great in your tank (of course I'm biased, with bettas being my favorite fish); they come in just about any color you want! Most bettas will tolerate shrimp or snails :)

3. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

A betta or shrimps are about the only thing you could put in a 5g, and the space is minimal for even that.

4. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

A small school of pygmy cories, maybe 5-6, could go in a 5g, but they're not too colourful!

Congrats on your tank being so close!

5. gourami88

gourami88Valued MemberMember

I'd say a betta and shrimp...and if you are worried about the betta eating the shrimp go with larger ones like amanos. I did that in a 10g, I just added the amanos first since they were small and grew them out (took about a month) and once they were of substantial size I went betta shopping :) By that time they were too big to really be picked on and they kept the tank spotless. Plus bettas don't really compete too much with them for food so they get plenty to eat.

6. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

I'd agree with the betta or shrimp... but there's also the option of a dwarf puffer. They're soooooooooooooo cute.

That's my next tank/fish when I can convince myself I'm not an addict :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice