After a water change how much water conditioner should I add?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
im unfamiliar with amquel or amquel plus... but if it's a water conditioner it's best to treat only for the water you took out, as over doses with MANY(not all but a whole lot) chems can be dangerous.-- unless it states use for new water, and for "old" water too(entire tank) then i wouldn't

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you are supposed to dose for the entire tank. General rule of thumb is that if you are pretreating the water, you add enough just to treat the new water.
However, if you are adding untreated water directly to the tank, then you dose for the entire tank. I am almost positive that this rule applies to Amel+

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Prime suggests to dose for only the new water when pretreating, but to dose for the entire tank when adding it directly. That seems to be the same with most conditioners, although the directions on the Amquel+ bottle doesn't specify. I think if your tank is cycled and there is nothing in the tank itself that needs to be detoxed you can pretreat and dose just for the new water. If there is ammonia or nitrite, or you have high levels of nitrate in your tap water and want to remove some excess from your tank as well then dose for the entire tank.

Amquel+ is a perfectly good conditioner and I see no reason to change. Prime is more concentrated (5mL of Amquel+ treats 10 gallons vs. 5mL of Prime treating 50 gallons) but as far as quality goes they are pretty equal. Both detoxify or remove ammonia and nitrite which makes them the best conditioners to have on hand in the event of a mini cycle. I believe when it comes to removing nitrate, Amquel+ is supposedly better than Prime, though I have never used Amquel+ and can not confirm this. I believe one member actually switched to Amquel+ for it's nitrate removing abilities since his tap water contains high levels of nitrate to begin with. I believe that each hobbyist should choose one or the other as opposed to some other brand, but which to choose is entirely up to the hobbyist.

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you are supposed to dose for the entire tank. General rule of thumb is that if you are pretreating the water, you add enough just to treat the new water.
However, if you are adding untreated water directly to the tank, then you dose for the entire tank. I am almost positive that this rule applies to Amel+
This rule is correct and its the same rule no matter what the product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom