african's spawn with a SA...

1. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Is it possible? My con has some "egg spots" on her (yes its a girl, she's getting an orange tummy :anim_65:) bottom fin, here's a pic:
    448.jpg
    those spots remind me of the ones male africans have to get the eggs in the female's mouth fertilized...
    :;dk
    it could also explain her odd coloration...

ooh, btw, she's got some pink coming on her back fin...

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Nope, Africans & NW cichlids cannot interbreed to my knowledge

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

A lot of my cons have those "egg spots", too. It's mostly the males. I'll try to get some pics for you over the next few days.

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

thanks! well the orange wasnt an orange, just one of his color swings :;dk

5. Kerber23 Member Member

I donno, ill see what i can find.. shes a pritty girl trhough :). From what i know, the 2 cannot breed. It may just be an odd coloration

6. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

7. Kerber23 Member Member

No problum.. keep em lookin the way it does... :D

8. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL just a little food and water :giggle:

9. Kerber23 Member Member

<3 Convicts :D takin care of a friends.. the male riped a whole in her side and ate her fins off... shes fine now... they have such personality :). Funny thing is she gets along with my female Blue Ram xD

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

any new pics of your baby since he/she has settled in more?

11. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Nope, he still looks the same :;dk

Just a question, could it be my pH stressing him? all my other fish have gotten used to it, and i acclimated everone the same way, drip acclimating :;dk

It has me pussled.

oh! one thing too, today i walked into the room and he was with my other girl behind the rock formations and his stripes were really strong just like a normal con, but when he saw me he turned pale... am i seriously that ugly???

LOL

Could it be the position of the tank as well? its on the ground if it has anything to do...

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

awwwwww its not u silly guy!
    cons always change colors constantly..I dont think its anything you are doing right or wrong..give him more time! your ph is stable so thats a bonus..he will acclimate better as time goes on :)

13. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL hopeully :) i like him either way LOL he's colorful ;D Besides, i think they're gonna like the sand.

14. Kerber23 Member Member

O yea they will. the one i have.. shes a digger :p

15. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL mine is a plant uprooter and gravel shifter :giggle:

16. Kerber23 Member Member

:D fun.. luckly mine jsut moves the rocks... leaves the plants and my ram alone... shes obssesed with the rocks... its amusing :p

17. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

:giggle: Cons are crazy fish. I used the to think they were like weird and totally agressive, but then i figured out that it's the way they are :p

18. Sussex Cichlid Initiate Member

Another reason for you convict being stressed could be that he is in a tank with Africans. You may think I am daft, but they interact totally different, for example an Africans body language to another African could mean aggression and to a American cichlid it can mean something totally different. This has been scientifically proven to be the case, although having kept con's myself, I know they are virtually bomb proof lol.

19. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL i dont keep mine with africans but intended to in the future LOL All cons are different, one of mine is a sweet angel while the other one is a killer >:D LOL