African mbuna

SaveThemAll1

Hi i have a 300l tank with 5 african cichlids: a female kennyi, a male OB ,a male red zebra, unknown white tail acei and an unknown albino socolofi. I dont want breeding at all at the 5ank and would like any adbice on how to prevent it.
In addition the female kennyi has laied eggs about a week ago. She was doing it once every 2 mounths when she wasin a tank alone so im not sure if they are fertelised now. Are there any signs to check that can help tell? Tere werent any "couple" behavior with any other fish, didnt see courting, didnt see anu of the fish trearing her diffrent and she is agrresive to everyone like she always was. She is also dtarted to eat about 3 days after she laid them even though her mouth is still swell.
Heres a vid of her

Dechi

If you don’t want any breeding, rehome the females. African cichlids breed very easily and nothing will stop them.

Your pseudotropheus acei looks like a female to me. My females have a very dark solid mauve color and my male is lighter and his color changes often on the same day. Sometimes pale, sometimes dark but never quite as dark as the females.

CrustyDusty

SaveThemAll1 said:

Hi i have a 300l tank with 5 african cichlids: a female kennyi, a male OB ,a male red zebra, unknown white tail acei and an unknown albino socolofi. I dont want breeding at all at the 5ank and would like any adbice on how to prevent it.
In addition the female kennyi has laied eggs about a week ago. She was doing it once every 2 mounths when she wasin a tank alone so im not sure if they are fertelised now. Are there any signs to check that can help tell? Tere werent any "couple" behavior with any other fish, didnt see courting, didnt see anu of the fish trearing her diffrent and she is agrresive to everyone like she always was. She is also dtarted to eat about 3 days after she laid them even though her mouth is still swell.
Heres a vid of her
I have had similar issues with my American cichlids. When I introduced them to their tank there were issues with breeding right away. I had to return a female green terror (who I initially thought was a male) to the fish retailer that provided her and I’ve had minimal issues regarding breeding since.

Before removing the mother of the babies the father wouldn’t let anything swim to the right side of the tank and would defend the rock that the eggs were laid on.

If you have a surface such as a rock that the cichlids have used for egg-laying then rinse it in tank water when you next change the water and attempt to separate the eggs from the surface you are rinsing. Don’t use tap water because beneficial bacteria lives on the surfaces of decor (mainly rocks, which is where cichlids most prefer to lay eggs).

In a community of cichlids there is only a very slim chance that raising the babies will be a success. Moving the father and the offspring to a separate tank where they can be alone together is the best way of successfully raising cichlid fry without issue. if this isn’t an available option then it’s best to return or rehome the mother. Since you don’t want cichlid fry then I’d just remove the mother.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom