African Leaf Fish

ivan.tsary

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Has anyone kept leaf fish? Would they be good with a small school of danios? Would 2 do for a 29 gallon?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They will eventually eat the danios. Supposedly they are timid, though mine is a terror.

I wouldn't keep 2 in a 29 -they grow to 6 inches.

mishykinz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, like Jaysee said, they will eventually get big enough to eat the danios. Their mouths are HUGE in proportion to their size, and anything that fits in it is fair game. When I got mine, the people at the LFS told me they were timid and hide a lot, but mine is always out and about. He's definitely the boss of the tank; my gouramis keep their distance. And unless you plan on upgrading the tank, 29 will be a bit small for a pair of them.

They are very cute though! Mine is definitely my favorite fish.

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've got one and he fits the stereotypical mold, although he does have to bichirs to contend with.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've got a group of five (although its almost impossible to spot all of them at any on time) babies, who have already grown at least 1cm to 3cm SL within a month.

I do have a 5x2x2 for when they get older, but all **** could break lose if they ever paired up and spawned!

Fishman1995

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I thought African Leaf Fish were Brakish fish?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, they're freshwater. African leaf fish are spotted ctenapomas, and are actually not a leaf fish. They are african gouramis.

Fishman1995

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So Spotted African Leaffish dont require any salt? I may consider them then

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom