African Jewel Cichlid Tank Idea. Need Help.

1. jcmguy

jcmguy Valued Member Member

So I have a plan for a nice, artistic, and natural setup for my west african jewel cichlid tank. I am going to try and make it look like this (http://fish-etc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Hardscaping-31.jpg) but with more hiding spots in the rocks. I was wondering what precautions I should take with heavy rocks (styrofoam squares for placement?) and what kind of sand I should use that settles quickly. All suggestions welcome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. OP
    OP
    jcmguy

jcmguy Valued Member Member

This is a 29 gallon tank I am creating. Yes, I have done all my research on the fish and what it requires so don't worry about that. Just rocks and sand advice please.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. d

dakota Valued Member Member

If you are intending on rocks which I did also when I had my cichlid tank I went to Lowes, Home Depot a or any large hardware store and get a section of egg crate panels sold in 24X48 inch sections it is usually used as a flourescent light fixtures as a diffuser. It is usually about 1/4 to 1/2 inch high and about 1/2 inch squares. I cut it carefully to fit the bottom of the tank. Substrate on top of it and it will help prevent the bottom of your tank in case you ever drop a rock. It is inexpensive and cheap insurance. I know 2 people in the last 2 years that did not have it and eventho they had about a 1/2 of substrate accidently dropped a rock even under water and cracked there glass bottom. One tank was a 140 gallon tank that got very costly. Something to think about and like I said cheap insurance to save a tank and fish. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish