African Giant Snail

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by Emil Jóhann, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Emil Jóhann

Emil Jóhann New Member Member

I was wondering if someone in this forum have keept these snails as pets! I really want one. How do i take care of them and what kind of tank is right for them, thanks Emil.

Garry in real life hqdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2018
  2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

What I can tell you is that the USDA considers this snail to be even more invasive than the true apple snail. It’s illegal in the US to own one. Another little tidbit is the can carry and transmit many human diseases not to mention the lovely parasites. I do like that you can actually hold them for long periods of time. My apple snail was fine for 30-45 minutes but then he wanted back in the water. The other one didn’t like to play. They’re illegal to own too. :(

3. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

Lots have water snails. I would say throw some greens in every once in a while and keep the tank humid

4. Gypsy13

This isn’t a water snail it’s terrestrial. :)

5. AJE

Yes, I know, she asked if anyone here kept snails

6. Gypsy13

I know, I was kidding. I just liked the way you said water snail. Thought it was cute. :)

7. AJE

Awww
    thanks aquatic there I couldn't do such a long word on a phone with out type os so I moved to a computer:)

8. Gypsy13

Understand completely. I have to use Siri and I have to have it read back because sometimes what I said and what Siri printed are totally different. I mean like the difference between green leaf and snow plow.

Oh, one more thing. These snails require a whole lot more than a few greens every once in a while. Voracious appetites. Will eat leaves, bark, stems, stalks, fruit, flowers, bones, other snails. By the ton. They are hungry. And the poo. Oh my the poo. Then there’s the whole washing the slime off yourself thing. :)

9. OP
    OP
    Emil Jóhann

Emil Jóhann New Member Member

He

10. AJE

So you are a He? I was guessing

11. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

12. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Make sure you can maintain the temperatures they need all year round.

13. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Ooh!! What'd I miss?? I got a pair Scoot (left) and Boogie (right) Those guys are awesome!
    IMG_20180611_195032.jpg

14. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I don’t have snails, but I do have isopods!
    84F3D988-3803-4DE6-AB5F-FB3C19E0548C.jpeg
    I have about a thousand of them.

15. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Ha! So did I in my old place. They lived in the walls.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice