african filter shrimp

adude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anyone have any info on African filter shrimp. I noticed my lfs had quite a few of them and got me wondering. What's there temp range, ph range, max size, special requirements...

Edit: the shrimp I'm referring to might actually be a bamboo shrimp, not sure...

adude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No I think its a bamboo shrimp, the label on the fish store said something like chocolate neocaridinia something or other, African filter/vampire shrimp look a little too bulky.

fishguy122

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bamboo shrimp really require a river tank to thrive. It needs to be mature (6 months) so that there's enough algae in the water column that they can actually feed. They grow pretty big, my pair are about 3" long, and the male has massive front legs which further add to the length. As with all hillstream/river fish they require high dissolved oxygen levels, decent current (and turnover rate) and low temps. PH ranged I'm not sure about but mine are happy at 7. They're so happy they've even bred before however the babies soon died because they need marine conditions to grow up.
Edit: vampire shrimp are basically the sane as bamboos, they just look way cooler because they have freakin' claw-like-legs
Hope this helped you

adude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, thanks, looks like I'm not getting bamboo shrimp!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom