African Dwarf Tadpoles??

1. Wnsanford Initiate Member

Ok so I have a tank with only ADF and suddenly there's eggs then babies the next day. I've taken them out and put them in a cup to keep the parents from eating them. So now I have no idea how to raise them. They're so tiny. I am also raising zebra danio fry and they do well on crushed flak and egg yolk. Given that the tads are carnivorous can they be fed the same? They look a little small to eat crushed powdered flake food. Also, do they need to be kept with an air stone? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405718063.836959.jpg

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

3. Wnsanford Initiate Member

Thank you very much :)

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats on the tadpoles!

Reading the link at the bottom of the care sheet that Dolfan mentioned would be the best advice.

Do you have any live plants you could put in with them for this stage?
    They'll get some microscopic food that way.

5. Wnsanford Initiate Member

Yes I have a bunch of live plants and I've already placed one in with them. I have done a quick start infusoria but I'm pretty sure it won't be ready in time. I've pinned a sandwich baggy to the side of the adult tank and am keeping the tads in there because they're small enough to swim through the slots in my regular breeders. Of the infusoria doesn't produce in time I'll give them the egg yolk. I don't have the means at the moment to raise baby brine shrimp.

6. Wnsanford Initiate Member

Thank you guys for the advice and the read

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I never had luck hatching baby brine shrimp.

Can you get some frozen BBS?
    It's not ideal but that's what I used.

I thaw some in tank water and use a syringe to suck some up and squirted it across the top of the water (not straight down because it sinks so fast.

Your tads aren't of that age yet though. They'll be ready for it in a day or so.
    I also gave mine hikari first bites mixed in.

How big is your tank? Do you have a container you can float in it?
    It will be a long time before they can't swim through the slots of a breeder box.

8. Wnsanford Initiate Member

My frog tank is pretty small at about five gallons but there are only four adult frogs in it. I never thought of frozen BBS! lol brain fart I guess.

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Forgbreeder's guide is really the best.

I've had limited luck raising them. Two several years ago and 6 this time around.
    It's such great fun to watch them grow and morph.
    Lots of work though, imo.

77IMpala raised some.
    Maybe he can chime in here with his methods and if you have questions.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

10. 77Impala Well Known Member Member

Sadly I have not had any tadpoles just yet. My mature female frog has tried for the third time 2 days ago but I am waiting to see what develops.

For mine I use a lettuce leaf and some tank water that I put in a container with lid and set in the kitchen window for the infusoria. Then I have a jar of baby brine shrimp ready when I do get blessed with some tadpoles.

I hope to have success with raising frogs when I am able to get the 20 Long tank I am looking for. Trying to sell some of my other tanks so I can get it. My wife and I decided to simplify our tanks to 2 active ones, a 20 long for our frogs and the 55 gallon for our Tetras and Mollies. I have had success with raising Mollie fry though.

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ooops...musta been thinking of someone else. Sorry!

12. 77Impala Well Known Member Member

I just check my thread from May 10 and I think you may have meant AbsolutTalent. He has raised three batches so far.

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, Thank you!