African Dwarf Frogs

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys, I'm interested in african dwarf frogs. I know Lucy keeps them; I was hoping anyone could help me out a bit on caring for them?

Sorry if any of these questions are naive, I really want to keep them ever since I saw them like a year or two ago, don't want to mess up their care, but I want to know what I'm getting into.

1. Will 2 African dwarf frogs work in a 5 gallon tank? For set up, can it be barebottom? If no, will sand work, even with slightly larger grain size should work right?

2. I know how adds need good water quality and won't tolerate something like a "fish in cycle" but what about temperature? Aquarium heaters and thermometers aren't the best as far as I know, so do they need super specific temp or will keeping an eye out and setting it at a "safer" range(if that makes any sense) be okay?

3. For feeding, what should I generally feed? Frog pellets are fine I assume, but are frozen bloodworms like mandatory? And when it comes to feeding how often and about how much?

4. Is gender super important? Like assuming 2 in a 5 gal is okay, will 2 males or 1 male and 1 female or 2 females be fine? Also IF they ever breed(which will probably be unlikely I'm assuming) can I just leave everything? Or will issues arise?

5. What are more specific water parameters? Or their best range in things like temp, nitrates, hardess... Is that also a big thing? I've seen slightly different info online but wasn't sure what to trust.

6. Best filter? Will a basic hob with intake sponge suffice; I was thinking sponge filter actually so I can do a lid a bit easier. Speaking of lids a mesh lid will work perfectly fine?

7. About the whole breathing thing, what is the most convenient but "good" like "resting" spot? Also what should I do for a basic set up... I was thinking barebottom or sand, 5 gallon aquarium, heater, thermometer, probably sponge filter, that resting thing( a rock?), and live plants. Of course I'm sorry if I missed anything for basic set up.

8. For set up, what should I expect it to cost? I usually just find things online and add up cost, but after getting my fish tank, not sure this is a good method lol. I understand that different places will cost differently, but if you have ever kept them how much would a small, basic initial set up cost?

9. Does water treatment and water changes differ much from fish?

If you see I've missed anything or have any tips and important points, please let me know. Thankyou for taking the time to read this post :)

Best Answer - View Lucy's answer

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
your over thinking this :)
buy like 5 of them and put them in the tank, I have never fed them specifically just what the other inhabitants eat is what they get and they are all fat and happy.
they like hiding spots so bare bottom may not be too smart.
some decor and bushy plants will make them happy.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love my African dwarf frogs! I keep 5 in a 15 gallon with guppies. They are very active and have an interesting social behavior. Although 2 would probably be ok in a cycled 5 gal, I would strongly recommend a group in a ten gallon. They are very active and will use the space.
The exact parameters don't seem to matter as much as keeping them stable. I would only add them to an established tank. I would use a regular aquarium heater and keep the water around 78 degrees.

They are not the smartest and have a hard time finding their food. I feed mine live blackworms and have to hand feed them with a syringe and wiggle the worms right in front of their faces. Because of this I recommend not keeping them with fish, as it's hard to make sure they get enough to eat. Some can learn to take frozen foods but you will probably have to move it around for them to see it. It is much easier to feed them on a bare bottom tank than over sand or gravel.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1) Yes but you'll have to be diligent with water changes. A 5g isn't very forgiving. Longer is better than taller.

2) 75F to79F ish. A stable temp is important.

3) More Variety. Frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms. There are several choices in the care sheet.

4) Gender won't matter, 2 males, 2 females, a male & female, they'll get along just fine.

5) See caresheet

6) A small sponge filter would be fine. YES to the lid. they can squeeze through tiny spaces

7) Live or silk plants are fine.

8) Yard sale, craig's list!

9) Frogs absorb toxins through their skin so they're more sensitive than fish. Keep up with the water changes! They will feel the effects of poor water quicker than fish.

10) Have fun!

Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs | 36417 | Amphibians

OP
flyinGourami

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! I'm a lot less worried now, guess I was overthinking this. So basically diet: Pellets with frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, and set up mesh lid fine, sponge will be fine, water changes important(can do that one easily), live plants work good and no fish of course.

Also thanks for moving it, I was trying to find a adf section or amphibian one but I guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't feed pellets as a staple diet, especially if you get young frogs as they might have problems finding or eating it. Pick up a couple different live or frozen foods and offer them a variety. Bloodworms are good but are high in fat. Blackworms offer a lot of protein. Brine shrimp, tubifex, really any whole animal sold as freshwater fish food. The babies eat much more frequently than adults!

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They love live and frozen foods I've heard. I'd recommend sand substrate and a sponge filter. 2 could work in a 5 gallon. Definitely have a tight lid with no gaps! They will jump! Gender is not super important. They will appreciate decor to rest on. Their parameters are not too different from a fish's; 70-80 F and a neutral pH. Many have trouble feeding them so make sure that they have enough food.

OP
flyinGourami

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks again. Okay yeah thanks anyone lol.

What about acclimation? Assuming I'm getting them locally temp acclimation and pouring in tank water every once in a while should work?

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
flyinGourami said:
Thanks again. Okay yeah thanks anyone lol.

What about acclimation? Assuming I'm getting them locally temp acclimation and pouring in tank water every once in a while should work?
Yup float bags to match temp and periodically pour in tank water should work I think

OP
flyinGourami

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay... Probably my last question(sorry for so many :oops:), but how do I catch these guys? I'm afraid a net might be a little... I do have a pretty fine net though. But its fairly small, around the size of a credit card.

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A net will work fine. Make sure that they don't jump when yo transfer them I would put your hand over the net.

OP
flyinGourami

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kanzekatores said:
A net will work fine. Make sure that they don't jump when yo transfer them I would put your hand over the net.
Yeah. I, the frog, the other frog, and my mom would freak out lol.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally I'd avoid a net and use a cup. Their little toenails can get caught in the mesh. not matter how closely knit.
Last thing your frogger needs is an infection.

New Threads