African Dwarf Frogs

1. phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

Hi! I'm looking into setting up an ADF tank only but have no idea where to start as there's a LOT of conflicting information floating around. I'd like to have at least 3 of them, so what size tank should I get? I've just begun my research so feel free to go wild with giant information posts.

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of 1 gallon per frog which just sounds uh...completely wrong as they get up to 3in if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if fish rules can be applied but I typically do 3 gallons for every inch of fish. Any reason why people say 1 gallon per 1 frog?

2. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

They
    Don’t breath the water like fish so the water conditions don’t matter as much, but still do need good water. If it makes you feel better then do two gallons per frog

3. OP
    OP
    phenris

Is there a particular reason people recommend that way though? If it's because of not being able to reach the surface well or their poor eyesight I'll go for the smaller tank but I'd like to give them as much exploration room as I'm allowed to.

4. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

So i have been doing some reading up on them for you. And apparently it's a frog per one gallon. Don't get to big of a tank because they will have a hard time getting up to the surface for air. So basically a 20 gallon high is bad for them because it's to high for them and they will drown trying to get air. So you are stuck at two choices. 1. A 10 gallon where you can have your 3 african dwarf frogs and maybe some more. or 2. A 20 gallon long. A 20 gallon long is basically as high as a 10 gallon and more room on the sides. Hope this helps! Remember! 10 gallon or 20 gallon long! Nothing bigger!

5. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

Make it only about 6 or seven inches deep then

You could get a ten or twenty long have three frogs, a couple snails, shrimp

6. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Because the majority of ADF do not get to three inches in length. Most stay around an inch or so. African CLAWED Frogs, do, on the otherhand , reach that size.

A ten gallon tank with excellent filtration can hold a colony of four to six. You can even have some shrimp and small snails for them to hunt. (Although they probably will leave the snails alone.)

They need a heater. There is a raging debate about sand vs gravel for substrate. I have kept mine on both.

Target feeding to a plate is easier than hand feeding with tongs. A mixed diet of brine shrimp, bloodworms, mosquito larva aka glassworms, and so forth is good practice. Feed two or three times a week. Beefheart should be fed rarely, if at all. Avoid dehydrated food. Frog pellets are okay, if your frogs will eat them. Mine never did.

Any frogs you get should be pretreated for Chytrid_fungus. It's rampant in the trade, and frequently lethal. A 10 day protocol is described in a sticky at the top of the amphibian forum. (Under our other pets.) In fact, you should take some time to read the threads there as part of your research .

Frogs are fun, but they do have their quirks.

7. OP
    OP
    phenris

Thanks! I think I'll go with the 10gal and maybe do 5 of them.
    Makes sense! I didn't even know we had an amphibian forum on here lol. I have a huge bag of sand substrate that I ordered for my betta but decided on not using because it was too fine. I've lost interest in gravel substrates lately so I think I'll make use of the sand.

Glad they share a similar diet to bettas! Two birds with one stone on the pet grocery shopping list. Thanks for the info!

8. maggie thecat

Frogs go to the surface to breathe air. Deep (tall) tanks tax their ability because, as I said before, they are little guys. So the advice to stick to long tanks or ten gallon standard size is spot on.

Their eyesight is poor. They hunt by scent, which is why it is recomnended that they are housed in single species tanks, without fish to compete with them.

9. OP
    OP
    phenris

I'm reading up on that fungus epidemic. Would it be reasonable to add one frog at a time?

(Edit: @ moderators if you could please move this thread to the amphibians forum, I'm sorry lol)

10. maggie thecat

No. What you want to do is get all your frogs at once, run them through the pretreatment, and then when that's done, put them in their permanent home.

THEN DO NOT ADD ANY MORE FROGS.

Close the colony. Any time you add new frogs you run the risk of introducing chytrid. It's not worth the risk.

11. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

I don't agree with this information.
    I keep a adf in a 55 gallon going to upgrade.
    The one I have has no trouble swimming.
    I also have tall plants and drift wood but I see the frog swimming the 4ft length without any issues.

That's my experience.

12. OP
    OP
    phenris

Okay, solid. I'll pick up their tank and QT tank this weekend and get those up and running. Gonna do a lot more research and hopefully we'll have frogs within the next 2 or so months.
    Huh. Interesting.

13. maggie thecat

Length isn't the issue. It's tank height.

14. maggie thecat

If you follow the pretreatment protocol to the letter you will need two holding containers and a treatment container. (I like a pyrex messuring cup with a lid for the treatment vessel.)

You don't need to cycle these because you are doing 100% daily water changes. You should aerate them, so get an extra pack of air hose and some cheap airstones that you don't mind disposing daily.

If you need additional help with the process, just sing out, but there have been several chytrid threads in the last few weeks that detail the process.