10 Gallon Tank African Dwarf Frogs Won’t Eat

jxulii

I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 guppies and two ADFs. I’ve had the ADFs for about four days now, and they haven’t eaten at all. I’ve tried dry bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and frog pellets, but they won’t eat anything.

I heard they were mostly blind, so I used chopsticks to wave food in front of their faces, but they just swam away. I also netted them and put some food in the net, but they ignored it.

I can’t just pour food in the tank and let them eat it later because my guppies will grab it. I’m afraid my guppies will get too chubby and ruin the water and their health, so I have to get the frogs to eat quickly.

The frogs seem to be behaving normally other then not eating. They swim around the tank a little and look alert. I’m just afraid they’ll start losing weight and starve. Please help!

bitseriously

Congrats on joining the 'phibian fan club!!
So first, you need to figure out if they will eat, under the right circumstances. Then you need to figure out what works for you, and them.
Start with this Solved: Feeding Pellets To Adf In Community Tank, but with bloodworms (recommend the frozen variety, not dried). To start put 1-2 worms in only*, so you can know if and how much get eaten. Don't feed them more than 4-6 worms at a time (ie at one go). If they're small frogs (not full grown), then fewer worms. Put a lid over the container, and leave them alone for a while, they're likely stressed from being in a new place and all, and bright lights/prying eyes won't help them relax.
Once you've confirmed that they are eating, you can work out how you want to feed them moving forward. Almost every owner I know that has them in a tank with fish uses some kind of feeding dish or tweezers to place food right in their faces (I'm in the tweezer camp). I think your chopsticks method will work, eventually.
Tip: If they're spending a lot of time swimming around in the water column, above the substrate, they're comfy enough to not hide all the time, but may be looking for a way out. Walking around on the substrate is how they forage for food, so that's what you want to see.

* To get 1-2 worms off a frozen cube, drop the cube in a cup with a little tank water, and let it thaw there. They'll keep in the fridge like that for at least a couple days, so you can use it a bit at a time.

Akeath

Have you tried target feeding with a turkey baster? This seems to work well for mine. The blast of water gets their attention and causes the food to move, which helps elicit a feeding response. I thaw the food beforehand in a ziplock baggie of dechorinated water, then suck up some with a turkey baster to feed the frogs. Your Guppies can have the leftovers, and you might have better luck feeding the frogs if you first put in some for the Guppies in a different part of the tank.

jxulii

@ Thank you! The smaller of my frogs responded very well, and ate his worms as well as a couple pellets! It warms my heart to see that he has an appetite. My larger frog (Female I’m assuming) didn’t eat at all, though. I waved the worms in front of her face, and she still didn’t respond. She even walked over worms without stopping to so much as look at them. She’s also the shyer of the two and gets frightened easily, so I put her back in the tank when she started to seem stressed. I’ll try again with her tomorrow, but I hope she eats soon because she’s starting to get a bit thin.

bitseriously

@ Thank you! The smaller of my frogs responded very well, and ate his worms as well as a couple pellets! It warms my heart to see that he has an appetite. My larger frog (Female I’m assuming) didn’t eat at all, though. I waved the worms in front of her face, and she still didn’t respond. She even walked over worms without stopping to so much as look at them. She’s also the shyer of the two and gets frightened easily, so I put her back in the tank when she started to seem stressed. I’ll try again with her tomorrow, but I hope she eats soon because she’s starting to get a bit thin.
(Partly) Awesome news! When you try again with the larger frog, try it with her on her own, instead of with the other guy. Maybe float two separate containers?
I know it seems like a lot of work, but it won't be forever. Getting these guys sorted out will take some trial and error. You might be spending 30 mins per day for a while fretting over them, which is normal. And that could go on for weeks, also normal.
I don't think everyone gets fussy frogs, most people don't run into these issues, but you have them, and it is what it is. You're doing the right thing by going the extra distance for them.
Let us know how it works out with the larger frog, please?
P.S. Check these vids (also mine) for some ideas on feeding worms in a tank with fish...

jxulii

@ It’s been a little over a week since I got the larger frog, and she still hasn’t eaten. This morning she was floating at the top of the tank and swimming around, so she’s active. I tried to feed her again in a separate container, but it didn’t work. Right now, she’s in a container by herself with food but she seems reluctant to eat. She’s also developed a sort of yellow-ish tone to her skin. I’m not sure if that’s normal or not. She also hasn’t m seemed to shed this whole time, even though the male has shed twice already. Here’s a photo of what she looks like right now.

Attachments

• 80ED0020-9FA3-4D0B-848B-D2DD4C9527BB.jpeg
    80ED0020-9FA3-4D0B-848B-D2DD4C9527BB.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 85

jxulii

She died.

I’m making a separate thread to try to find out the cause of death and what to do with the tank, which may be infected with an illness.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
skar
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mandy627