African dwarf frogs, water quality, and food?

ricktavious
Thinking about getting an ADF, but have some questions. First, how sensitive are they to water quality? Is it safe to cycle a tank with them in it? Also, how do you feed them their food while keeping the food away from fish that eat the same thing? How much do they eat? Finally, what do they need in the water to be safe and happy? Thanks!

Chief_waterchanger
What size tank?
What other tankmates?

Personally I would not put them in an uncycled tank, that is almost never a good idea.

ricktavious
It would be a 10 gallon tank with a male betta.

Chief_waterchanger
As for the feeding I would put some in there and make them learn to eat fast, but if you wanted to be "nicer" you could put food on one end of the tank and who ever eats all of that you put food right over top of the other.

I don't know how aggressive/not aggressive bettas are towards the ADF, but if it works out that's cool.

ricktavious
I've read that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! Will definitely not try to cycle with one in the tank if I go that route. Thanks for the advice

Chief_waterchanger
No problem, glad to be of assistance, and I am looking forward to hearing updates from ya.

ricktavious
One more question if you happen to see this, should ADFs have another ADF buddy to live with?

Chief_waterchanger
I don't think it really matters, and if you keep it at 1 ADF and 1 betta it should keep your maintenance easier than 2 and a betta.

Do know that I have never personally kept ADFs, but the biomass perspective is where I am speaking from in this post.

Frogger
I wouldn't suggest cycling with the adf's, they can be a bit sensitive about their water. As far as keeping one or two its really up to you. I have two in with my betta and he does fine with them I would suggest putting the frogs in first and then introducing the betta into the tank.

I feed my guys frog and tadpole bites they sink to the bottom where they find them rather quickly. And the betta actually enjoys them too. I actually have a problem trying to get the betta to get anything but the bites.

ricktavious
I wouldn't suggest cycling with the adf's, they can be a bit sensitive about their water. As far as keeping one or two its really up to you. I have two in with my betta and he does fine with them I would suggest putting the frogs in first and then introducing the betta into the tank.

I feed my guys frog and tadpole bites they sink to the bottom where they find them rather quickly. And the betta actually enjoys them too. I actually have a problem trying to get the betta to get anything but the bites.

Sounds good, thanks for the info! That is the game plan I was probably going to go for, nice to get some confirmation from someone with first-hand info

Jonathan P
I agree with Frogger. Put the ADF(s) in first. I've attempted it twice with a male betta and it definitely works much easier with the betta coming in after.

I feed them black worms as, that is what they were getting at the lfs and did not adapt to the sinking pellets.

My betta eats some of the worms too, but I put them in at the same time as the betta pellets and most get to the frogs.

They have done quite well this way so far (6 months).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Paper Spiders
Replies
Views
adfmama88
  • Poll
Replies
Views
aquafrogg
Replies