10 Gallon Tank African Dwarf Frogs Tankmates 10 Gallon?

StupidQuestionMan

(It's my first question here so I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong place and/or a question with a really obvious answer.)

I have a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter, heater, and LED lighting. I am planning on getting a trio of African Dwarf frogs to put in it, and I wonder if there are any small fish that could share the tank. Preferably something relatively common and inexpensive if anything at all. Depending on the sources I look at it would seem the tank would be kind of crowded with the frogs alone, but others say there is a bit of room. I am 100% willing to accept if there's nothing that could do well in such conditions.

Gscribble

I have 1 adf, and he’s leaving my guppy fry, fancy guppies, and Platies alone. I’d like to get neons. My LFS has them in quarantine right now (which they always do when they get fish in). Welcome to the hobby! I’ve found a lot of helpful people on this forum.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Welcome, stupidquestionman! I keep adfs with guppies, no bad interactions with them! They either leave each other alone, or it seems like they kinda hangout together.
By the way, I noticed you said you were getting a trio. Do you want tadpoles, or do you mean 3? I'm no expert, but how I tell gender is the males have a white speck on their front elbows.

Upvote 0

StupidQuestionMan

Oh, yeah, sorry. I just meant 3. I didn't realize it had another meaning. As for the guppies, how many are suitable? Is it one or a few? Are guppies the only species that could work? Sorry once more for not knowing that much about this.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

3-4 would be good

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

No problem, don’t beat yourself up. Everyone has to start somewhere. And I know everybody on here would rather you ask simple questions so we can answer and help you, instead of just trying to figure it out because you think your questions are stupid. I will advise, as a beginner go with all male guppies. I personally have not kept them but I am knowledgeable and have heard the stories. Guppies will have so so so so many babies and it is pretty much impossible to keep them from reproducing if you have a male and a female. The reason why you shouldn’t get all females though, is that they can store sperm to use weeks later. They also tend to already be pregnant at the store, even if it isn’t noticeable when you buy them. As long as you have no females, the males will not be aggressive to each other. The males also have longer more colorful fins, so that’s a plus!

Upvote 0

StupidQuestionMan

Thank you all so much. One more question. "G scribble" mentioned neons, are those the same as neon tetras and would those work? I really like their fast movements.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Yes, neons are the same as neon tetras, and they should work fine with adfs, as long as the neons can't fit in their mouths.

Upvote 0

StupidQuestionMan

Do you know how many might work for the space?

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I don't know much about neon tetras, but you could get maybe 7-9.

Upvote 0

Gscribble

Thank you all so much. One more question. "G scribble" mentioned neons, are those the same as neon tetras and would those work? I really like their fast movements.
Yes, I meant neon tetras, good catch! I like their movement too

Upvote 0

StupidQuestionMan

Thanks everyone but it looks like I will not be getting the frogs after all. Your input has been very appreciated and I will definitely implement it if I ever get them in the future, which I hope to.

Upvote 0

Lucy

I'm no expert, but how I tell gender is the males have a white speck on their front elbows.
The male white spot is under their front arms, not on their elbows, like where their arm pit would be.

Thanks everyone but it looks like I will not be getting the frogs after all. Your input has been very appreciated and I will definitely implement it if I ever get them in the future, which I hope to.

That's too bad. They are such fun. I personally recommend a species only tank, but as you see, others do things differently.

Upvote 0

StupidQuestionMan

It seems like African Dwarf frogs are once again an option. If anyone knows, how many frogs might be able to live in a 10 gallon with two mystery snails?

Upvote 0

Lucy

Four to six with some plants to perch on and maybe some driftwood to hide under. I don't know anthing about mystery snails but they should be ok

Upvote 0

immaman1992

4 frogs with some shrimp or snails should be okay. But I do not have any experience with them I have just been looking up frogs a lot lately.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
georgelee1000
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views
Mbc2015
Replies