2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. African Dwarf Frogs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hawklady

Hawklady New Member Member

Hello all!

I've been being schooled by an amazing fish lore member and now I have a hard choice to make.

I posted a question about stocking my tank, thinking I had it all figured out.

My original stock list went like this:

20 Cardinal Tetras
    10 Emerald Green Coryadoras
    6 Mystery Snails
    6 African Dwarf Frogs
    20 Cherry Red Shrimp

She pointed out to me that it would be best to cut the snails down to one or two and pick between the ADFs or the Coryadoras so they aren't competing for floor space.

So, now I turn to the internet for help making my decision. I'm hoping some folks who have cared for both species may chime in. Basically I'm looking at either species as my playful clowns.

I have toddlers and hope they enjoy the antics of either the Cory cats or the ADFs.

Which would be most entertaining?

2. MisguidedSanity

MisguidedSanity New Member Member

I don't have any ADFs now, but I had them as a kid and I simply LOVED them! They were all I looked at when I was in my room (had a 10g with a few ADFs and some type of fish that I can't remember). I do currently have some Cory Cats and I love them a lot as well. From a kid's POV I think the frogs are more interesting to watch, but that's just because I thought (at the time) "A fish's a fish. They may be in different sizes, shapes and colors, but they all are the same" (Oh how very wrong I was!) It is worth mentioning my father had 5 tanks, all 150+ gallons, and so I was so used to seeing fish, but the frogs were different and new.

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Personally i have had adf's with fish and it was neat but a real pain feeding them. Had to distract the fish so the frogs could get some. I got tired of spending 20-30 minutes feeding the tank so eventually i separated them to their own tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Hawklady

Thanks to both for your input! The wonderful lady who advised me to choose also recommended frog only. Space is an issue for me (small apartment). Anywhere else I might put a tank, probably wouldn't be so enjoyable because there's only one real wall where you'd sit and watch something. So my aquarium and TV will be uncomfortably close but I'm starting to think hanging it up high might be a solution that would allow for a second tank next year.

She also advised how I might train the frogs to eat from a dish to make this chore easier.

Keep the advice and recommendations coming!

Thanks to everyone :)

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds like a great tank. I love my frogs and my cories. I keep my frogs in a species only tank and the cories with other fish. So that's the choice I'd do with.
    I don't know how your shrimp would fair with frogs. They like shrimp. A LOT. lol

Like David said, feeding can be an issue. Frogs will get used to the food being in a dish but that won't stop the fish from getting to it before all six frogs can eat.

6. OP
    OP
    Hawklady

Ah, I see. Well, this is excellent advice as well. It seems you all see my dilemma!

The kids may well enjoy the frogs more but will the frogs enjoy a community tank even if I work extra hard on their care?

It's funny because all of the "educational" articles on ADF make them seem as though integration into a community is no big deal so long as everyone is peaceful and no one can eat anyone else.

Then I come to the real experts on a forum and learn the actual truth ;)

7. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

i'd say corys. i'm a big fan of adf but i've recently (like in the last day) decided to just get a betta instead and wait until i'm a thousand percent ready to try keeping frogs again. especially since bleaching everything the past few days has gotten me really paranoid that there's remaining bleach on everything. lamisil treatments, quarantine, a bigger tank... i'll wait. if you decide to get a species only tank for them later, you and your kids will love them.

8. OP
    OP
    Hawklady

Okay, well I am still open to hearing from anyone who thinks I should go for the frogs but it seems that everyone agrees that I should do the corys and wait until I can do a species only tank of the ADF.

I admit I'm a bit sad as I fell in love with the critters at my LPS but what does love matter if you aren't prepared to sacrifice and wait to do it right?

Thank you all!

I will keep checking back. I have rock water and so have to order an ro/di to even start cycling.

At least I didn't buy $50 worth of aquarium rocks to make a sand pit for corys I wasn't going to end up buying :)