African Dwarf Frogs Keep Dying?? Question

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Anika, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Anika

AnikaValued MemberMember

I've never had any ADFs before this and I have had bad luck putting new ADFs in my 10 gallon cycled and planted tank that always tests perfect. I do 25% water changes once a week. I got two last weekend. They both died the day I got them got replacement frogs and one survived, the other died. Had a difficult time feeding the surviving one. He jumped to the blood worms but wouldn't open his mouth (I found him dead this evening ). I noticed all the dead frogs had a dark spot on their underbelly. I wasn't going to get any more because I was scared that it was something I was doing wrong but when I went back to the store they said they lost 3 that day and have lost quite a few since recieving the shipment so it's most likely the frogs they got in. So I got another one which is still doing okay but he hasn't been very active today. He will eat though. I noticed when I got him he was significantly fatter than the other one that wouldn't eat. I thought he was just fat or the other was just skinny because he wasnt eating but now I'm wondering if he's bloated. Does he look okay? What can I do to increase his possibility of survival?? So tired of losing these poor little guys. 20190621_223741.jpg

2. Arcadia

ArcadiaNew MemberMember

Sorry to hear this :( Two questions to try and figure this out -

1) What process did you use to acclimate your frogs into the tank?

2) Do you have the numbers for the water tests on your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Anika

AnikaValued MemberMember

Thanks for the reply. I floated them in the water for 30 min while pouring small amounts of water from the tank every 5min. Ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 10ppm, PH is 8.2.

4. Arcadia

ArcadiaNew MemberMember

Ok so the acclimation doesn’t appear to be the problem. Regarding the water tests, the only thing that looks a little off to me is the PH. ADFs generally prefer a PH between 7.2-7.6

ADFs are quite delicate, and even just a slightly raised PH can cause issues. However, if the pet store you are getting your frogs from doesn’t seem to be taking good care of them, that could also be the issue, and you may want to switch where you purchase your frogs.

5. OP
    OP
    Anika

AnikaValued MemberMember

Thanks so much for the info. I'll buy some PH down today and hopefully this little guy will be okay!

6. Arcadia

ArcadiaNew MemberMember

Sounds good, update me if he still doesn’t seem better after lowering the PH.

7. CMB

CMBWell Known MemberMember

I just wanted to add a bit of my own experience here, to see if it might help you. First, I've heard that these guys are social, you might want to try to get more than just the one, if you have luck keeping it alive. It sounds to me, though, like you just got a bad bunch from the store, if theirs were dying too then maybe they were either sick or poorly cared for. If they were overly skinny, they may also have been half starved to death by the time you got them, and they just weren't able to make it very long. Finally, if you're trying to lower the PH, I'd recommend using a more natural method, those up and down chemicals don't always work very well. If you get a nice piece of driftwood, or some almond leaves, it will make the tank look nice and lower the PH to a good level naturally. This will have the added benefit of making your frogs feel more comfortable. I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how much it stinks to lose fish.