African Dwarf Frogs In Nano?

ADFLove

Reaction score
Hi! I’ve been keeping fish since my early teens. Almost a decade. Well my SO wanted me to try my hand at something other then fish. We have a 20g long with albino Cory cats, Glowlight tetras, and a couple mollies. Since it’s been stable for quite a while I decided I wanted to try ADF. I’m being gifted a 7gallon tank. It’s supposed to be 18in wide, 11 tall, & 12.75 deep I believe.

I will be running: 50watt heater, mixed media/sponge filter meant for 20 gallon & air stone on adjustable air pump, & LED lights.

I have some questions:
1) Gravel, fluorite, or sand? I want to grow plants on this tank too.

2) What are some good plants for ADFs? I’d prefer African plants but very open.

3) Should I add a second filter that is just a sponge filter?

4) I’ll be doing 25-30% water changes split in two weekly. How many frogs can I have?

My tank will be cycled using media and possibly substrate from my 20g. Thank you I’m advance!

ADFLove

Reaction score
I know they like to be kept in 3s minimum. Can I home 3 I’m a 7g? I’ve been watching myfroggycam a lot and she has 6 or 7 in a 10g. I’ve been researching a lot. Some say they need a gallon, others 2.5, & others 5 each. I’m very confused.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With African Dwarf Frogs, you should have a sand substrate which will be better for their soft stomaches. Since you want African plants, your limited to mostly aponogeton, bolbitis, anubis, and some vallisneria species like spiralis. A second filter wouldn't do any harm since they do have a high bioload. In a 7 gallon, you could get away with probably 6.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, I personally wouldn't keep this number of ADF in a tank this size.
I recommend two frogs per five gallons of water, so you can have two.

They do not need groups of three or more, they just need one other frog.
@DutchAquarium ADF do not need sand, you can keep them on gravel or sand, but typically gravel is better.
They can accidentally eat some of the sand while eating from the bottom unless you have a dish.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I Always feed my african dwarfs on a ceramic plate to avoid them eating any sand. Gravel, i find appears to scrap up their noses even if it is rounded.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DutchAquarium said:
I Always feed my african dwarfs on a ceramic plate to avoid them eating any sand. Gravel, i find appears to scrap up their noses even if it is rounded.
I personally haven't had an issue with injuries on gravel.
I know plenty of keepers that use gravel.

ADFLove

Reaction score
The filters are great at filtering but don’t make strong currents. They are even safe for fry tanks.

I think I’m gonna do sand as I’ll feed em on a plate. What sand is generally recommended?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ADFLove said:
The filters are great at filtering but don’t make strong currents. They are even safe for fry tanks.

I think I’m gonna do sand as I’ll feed em on a plate. What sand is generally recommended?
You can use pool filter sand, play sand, or even commercial branded sands like CaribSea Naturals.

ADFLove

Reaction score
Okies :3 I know how to tell them from ACFs. But is it true there is a blonde/white version now available?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ADFLove said:
Okies :3 I know how to tell them from ACFs. But is it true there is a blonde/white version now available?
Yes, there is a blonde color form of them

ADFLove

Reaction score
Update! I decided to use the 7g for a crowntail Betta. And bought my frogs a 10g. I liked myfroggycams tank so right now I’m running a bare bottom with 6 frogs and am do water changes every other day. I decided to do some ornaments, fake silk plants, & a floating log for them.

I was wondering if later I could do flat glass marbles in there tank? I’m worried about impaction from sand or gravel even feeding em on the plate (they still get the food everywhere). I ordered em from LiveAquaria and they are only a half inch rn!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ADFLove said:
Update! I decided to use the 7g for a crowntail Betta. And bought my frogs a 10g. I liked myfroggycams tank so right now I’m running a bare bottom with 6 frogs and am do water changes every other day. I decided to do some ornaments, fake silk plants, & a floating log for them.

I was wondering if later I could do flat glass marbles in there tank? I’m worried about impaction from sand or gravel even feeding em on the plate (they still get the food everywhere). I ordered em from LiveAquaria and they are only a half inch rn!
Yes, just make sure that the frogs are unable to get underneath the marbles, they could get trapped.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom