African Dwarf Frog

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i believe i have two females, but i was hoping to breed in future. wanted a second opinion before i consider trying to find a male.

frog 1
IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg

frog 2
IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yep, i believe they're both female. males have a small reddish or white bump behind their armpits and have shorter tails, just a tiny little nub. they are also less round than females. i also noticed that they look more "muscular" and wiry, with thicker forelegs. females have little delicate-looking forelegs.

edit: that being said, some of these photos confuse me lol. have you noticed any buzzing sounds coming from them? i believe that only the males sing.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yep, i believe they're both female. males have a small reddish or white bump behind their armpits and have shorter tails, just a tiny little nub. they are also less round than females. i also noticed that they look more "muscular" and wiry, with thicker forelegs. females have little delicate-looking forelegs.

edit: that being said, some of these photos confuse me lol. have you noticed any buzzing sounds coming from them? i believe that only the males sing.

ive noticed them getting rounder lately, but theyve also gotten better at finding the plate. i feed them every other day. im not sure how old they are, i got them a couple weeks ago. and i havent noticed any singing, unless its loud my other 10 gallons filter would block it out.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hmm. i would say that if you ever see them mate, then you'd know for sure they're the opposite gender, but i've seen photos of males "mating" with each other, haha. that or if you suddenly find eggs in your tank.

it's pretty difficult to successfully breed adfs, btw. even more difficult to keep their young alive; they're very finnicky. a few members on here have done it, though, but it takes work. i'd definitely research breeding and rearing tadpoles before you plan on anything. also, i personally would just keep it to 2 frogs per 5 gallons. you might be able to fit three.

i kinda wish i had tried, honestly. both my froggies died and i didn't have any luck with replacement frogs their eggs weren't fertilized.

Fizzfrog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They're both so cute! They both look like females to me as well, but if they're young the males won't have developed a bump behind their arms yet so it can be a bit hard to tell. I have a male (tried to get him some friends but alas, chytrid is rampant in my area and I haven't been able to successfully treat any of the frogs I've gotten from chain stores) and he never seems to put on any weight even though I feed him a healthy amount, so if your frogs are putting on weight easily chances are they're female. My frog definitely sings loudly enough to drown out the sound of a 10-gal filter and a sponge filter though, so if you had males you should be able to hear when they sing - usually happens at night, but won't happen every night and sometimes won't happen for a few weeks after you bring him home. Males will also amplex (looks like they're hugging the other frog), but females won't, so if you see hugging or hear singing you know for sure you have a male.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
im so upset.. i lost frog #2.. she was acting like a happy little frog last night, swimming around, floated for a little bit, was crawling on the floor.. she still had a plump little belly from her meal the day before (i feed every other day) and i turned her light off and told her goodnight. when i woke up she was on her back in the food bowl.. and i just dont understand.. i did a water change and honestly didnt test my water right after i found her because i have another frog to worry about. but i had tested it the day before and ammonia was .25 and no nitrite. there was a bacteria bloom a couple days ago but its cleared up now.. the only thing that was weird about her was she was peeling for a couple days, but i thought that was normal when i looked it up. it said she would peel and have a beautiful dark coat underneath, and she did. the only difference between her and her sister was that she was a bit more shy, had a bigger belly and had cloudy blue eyes, my other frogs eyes are yellow.. i dont understand...

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
oh no i'm so sorry to hear it. if she was shedding that much, then there was something wrong with her. if their shed is hanging off of them in tatters, it's also not a good sign. frogs shed once a week and should ideally shed their entire skin in one piece.

you didn't notice any excessive bloating, paling, thrashing at the surface, floating a lot??

i'm hoping your remaining frog doesn't catch whatever she might have had. adfs are very susceptible to many bacterial and fungal infections, including the deadly chytrid fungus that runs rampant in pet stores and mass breeders. it can take up to 3 months for chytrid to show itself. i'd read up on it a bit if you don't know about it.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh no i'm so sorry to hear it. if she was shedding that much, then there was something wrong with her. if their shed is hanging off of them in tatters, it's also not a good sign. frogs shed once a week and should ideally shed their entire skin in one piece.

you didn't notice any excessive bloating, paling, thrashing at the surface, floating a lot??

i'm hoping your remaining frog doesn't catch whatever she might have had. adfs are very susceptible to many bacterial and fungal infections, including the deadly chytrid fungus that runs rampant in pet stores and mass breeders. it can take up to 3 months for chytrid to show itself. i'd read up on it a bit if you don't know about it.
no, her behavior was very normal, she was only floating for a little bit as she always does, same with her sister. she did have a little bit of skin hanging off of her, and she was more plump then her sister but it didnt strike me as bloated, just full because she mostly was bigger in the hips, it wasnt like she had a balloon stomach. but then again im not experienced. she did have cloudy blue eyes when i bought her, while her sister has bright yellow. i feel terrible, i shouldve done something when i saw her peeling 2 days ago..

i just read it spreads by touching.. they would lay on each other all the time. is there anything i can do for the remaining frog?

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
it's okay, don't best yourself up about it. these things happen. i made some dumb mistakes when i had frogs and got mine infected, too. :/ i'm not sure if it's chytrid, though. it's very strange because the only thing odd with your frog was the shedding and maybe the eyes. but sometimes these things just happen and remain a mystery.

i'd do a large water change, i think. to be safe, you could do a total cleanup of your tank using vinegar and bleach, but i hate doing that because i'm always afraid of residual bleach no matter how much i rinse, soak, and air dry (i've been doing this for the past several weeks after my frogs died).

if it was chytrid, then you can do a lamisil bath for 10 days for your frog to get rid of the fungus. you could try treating them with api general body cure or tetracycline (i've only been able to find this online) if it was bacterial.

you might want to create a new thread about what happened and maybe some others can reply with their ideas. i know @Lucy and @maggie thecat are good at this stuff, as well as some others on this forum. i would hold off from buying any new frogs until you're sure everything is okay. good luck!!!!

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ideally, yes, you should have more than one frog, but you can get more later. right now i'd focus on making sure she's healthy, so she won't infect any other frogs you may get, or the other way around! i kept my frog alone for 5 years before i finally got him a mate.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aw, I'm so sorry.
Sometimes these things happen and we never know why. I'd assume something was already sick if she cloudy eyes when you got her.
Some do lamsil bathes as a precaution when they buy them. I haven't but that mean either is right or wrong.

Midna is right, they are social but they do ok on their own as well. Wouldn't be my choice though.

Curious, what kind of food dish do you have? I once used a painted, glazed dish (for hermit crabs I think, it's been a while) , almost poisoned all my frogs that way. They can leach toxins in the water.
Frogs absorb everything through their skin so any toxins does right to their organs.

Maybe Maggie can chime in when she logs on.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my other frog is peeling noo
what do i do?
and i use a glass dish.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
dang, she really doesn't look ill from the pictures. did you put her in a new tank with new water? can you get any of the meds i listed, maybe?

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
she didnt look ill earlier and then i came home from work and the top of her head is pale and peeling like her sister had on her back.. i cant take a picture because the tank light is off. does she need a new tank? i did almost a full water change. i dont have anywhere to put her, i already have guppy fry in a container and a sick betta i just rescued in another container.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i'm really not sure what else can be done at this point :/ maybe get some rest and start again tomorrow. you probably won't need to do another water change so soon but if you want to be on the safe side, do another tomorrow (maybe 50%). if it's something internal or a fungus with spores then i'm afraid i don't know how successful water changes will be without medication or sterilization. have you checked the parameters lately to make sure it's not from an ammonia spike? i know you said earlier that it was at .25.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i'm really not sure what else can be done at this point :/ maybe get some rest and start again tomorrow. you probably won't need to do another water change so soon but if you want to be on the safe side, do another tomorrow (maybe 50%). if it's something internal or a fungus with spores then i'm afraid i don't know how successful water changes will be without medication or sterilization. have you checked the parameters lately to make sure it's not from an ammonia spike? i know you said earlier that it was at .25.
if it was an ammonia spike (i did a water change minutes after i found her) then its fixed now, ill check but it should all be fresh water. at this point i will just do daily water changes, wait and hope. thank you for the help.

Fizzfrog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How is your frog doing now? If she's peeling that could indicate chytrid, especially if she's showing other symptoms such as thrashing at the surface/trying to get out of the water, constantly hiding, etc. I created a thread (you can access it here) a few months ago with more info on symptoms and how to treat it - a bunch of the info came from @Lucy and @maggie thecat who know a lot about ADFs and Lucy's thread can be accessed here (there's also a link to it on my chytrid thread). Chytrid can survive in water without a host for many weeks, so you'll need to disinfect your entire tank (including the filter) before you put her or any other ADFs back into it, or even better, get a brand new tank, substrate, filter + filter media, etc. I really do suggest attempting the treatment, since if it really is chytrid there's not a very good chance at all that she'll make it on her own.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom