African Dwarf Frog Wouned! Help!

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by zakocsm, Jul 22, 2015.

1. z

zakocsm Valued Member Member

Hello, I know this isn't really fish but it is still a aquatic creature so I thought I would put it here.
    my African dwarf frog now has this "thing" on its head. It's like a little dent in his head. When I pick him up and look at it, it looks like his skin has been ripped off or something. I have a beta and another adf in the tank and they are both peaceful and never fight, the two ADF's are almost best friends. So, I don't know what this is. I have quarantined the frog in one of my old tanks but I don't know what to do, it's so weird! It wasn't there a week ago. By the way I got these frogs about 1-1.5 months ago and the betta about 3 months ago.
    thanks for th r help, and also I have provided some pictures below.
    Sorry for any miss spelling, I am typing this in my iPad.
    Please tell me what is up with this frog. Thanks. image.jpg image.jpg

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Let's see what Lucy has to say.

3. OP
    OP
    z

@Thunder_o_b
    Huh?
    EDIT: Oh, ok. I see what you mean.

4. OP
    OP
    z

What should I do?
    Should I just wait and see what happens, probably the inevitable?
    or Should I euthanize him and end his suffering?
    I could probably try to treat him, but I have not seen anything about this on the internet, anywhere, and I dont know what to do. I don't know what I would give him or put in his tank and I also don't know what he has that would just cause this all of the sudden :(

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi zakocsm
    I'm sorry about your frog.
    Is there anything in the tank that he could have injured himself on?
    I don't know if the betta could have created that type of wound but it's possible. They do have teeth (bettas, not ADF's)

Sounds like you have done what you could by isolating him
    If it is an injury, make sure his water stays super clean to try and prevent infection.

You might want to have an antibiotic on hand in case it's a bacterial infection.
    Maracyn 1 and 2 are safe for African Dwarf Frogs
    Unfortunately, that type of infection can move very quickly.
    If it were me, I'd probably treat him.

6. OP
    OP
    z

Yea, it's a pretty big wound.
    If it is some sort of bacteria or something, its in the worst possible location,
    the brain.
    So, I might head over to Petco and get some Maracyn like you said.
    There isn't anything in the tank he can injure himself on. I have 2 live plants and 3 silk plants, which the bases are burried so he couldnt have hurt himself on that. I also have a barrel thing in there, but it is round and very smooth so he couldn't have hurt himself on that, but it is possible.
    His water is very clean, and I am going to clean it every 3 days to make sure of that.
    But from here, I don't really know if there is anything I can do other than wait for the inevitable.

7. Lucy

Hopefully it won't come down to "the inevitable"
    Call Petco first. They may not carry it since Fritz Industries took over selling it from Mardel.

I thought I recalled reading something about tetracycline being used on African Dwarf Frogs.
    Can't vouch for that myself so do a little research.
    That would be quicker to get than Marcyn.

Edit:
    Here it is:

I would trust that source.

8. OP
    OP
    z

Thanks, and I hope you are right that it doesn't come down to the inevitable.
    My parents are saying "Oh yea well he was only $5, so just kill him"
    I don't want to do that since I actually care for my pets.
    I'll look into the tetracycline.
    Thanks!

9. Lucy

Good luck and please keep us posted.

10. OP
    OP
    z

I will. Thanks for your help :)
    Also, incase anyone cares, his name was Slinky.

11. marijo

marijo Well Known Member Member

Hello zakocsm

Slinky, cool name for a frog. That's a strange injury, it's a bit hard to tell but it looks like he got bitten, I am crossing my fingers and hoping your frog will recover

12. OP
    OP
    z

Nothing much has really been happening with him. Couldn't find anything at my petco. They were out of tetracycline. So, I am just going to wait and see what happens. He is acting pretty normal, but once in a while he will flip out and start flailing all around the tank for about 5 seconds before just stopping and sitting there at the bottom. Other than that, he acts pretty normal.

13. marijo

How is your frog doing today? I was reading the link provide by Lucy, maybe neosporin would help in this case, the original brand, not the one with pain relief

14. OP
    OP
    z

marijo
    He is doing pretty good. Acting pretty normal, just that hole is still there and it isn't going away at all, it still looks the same as it did a couple of days ago when I noticed it. I am cleaning it's tank every 3 days, aswell. I currently don't have any neosporin, but I don't really know how I would use that. Do I just put it in the water or what? I doubt that is how you do it but I can look into that. Like you said, he might have just been bitten, even though the other ADF in his tank is very friendly, and they are like best friends. It might have been the betta if he was trying to get her food, though.
    Ill look more into neosporin.

15. marijo

if your frog is doing well, you might jus continue with your water change, Neosporin would be apply with a Q-tip, so you need to take your frog out of the water, hold him in a damp paper towel while trying to put the medication on , not an easy job! I would say that there is a better chance for the betta to have hurt your frog then the other adf

16. OP
    OP
    z

Yea, that is probably true. I also believe that the betta hurt the adf possibly when it was trying to eat or something.
    Thanks for the support. I am going to try to do the neosporin. He lets me hold him which is pretty cool so I will do that.
    Thanks!

17. marijo

I am pretty sure that the bettta didn't do it on purpose! Probably wanting the same piece of food. If trying Neosporin, a thin layer should be suffiecent

18. OP
    OP
    z

Hey guys,
    I wanted to update you on slinky.
    He unfortunatley passed away.
    I don't know why, just one day I came in and he was dead.
    I got another one a couple days later.
    He was fine, but the next day when I woke up, he had the same thing that slinky had, except a LOT bigger. And on the side of his stomache. Next morning, he was dead.
    Haven't got another one. I have no idea what is going on. Ribbit is perfectly fine. Super healthy and active, nothing wrong with her, its just the other two, slinky and un-named that I dont know about.
    Thanks,
    Mitch

19. marijo

Sorry for your frog:(

20. frogbreeder

frogbreeder Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry about your frogs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice