African Dwarf Frog With Betta In A 5 Gallon?

1. DanielleFish

DanielleFish Well Known Member Member

Don't know anything about ADFs, just bettas. I've been curious if this would be okay for both frog and fish. Thanks, y'all!

2. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

I recommend getting a larger tank (+10 gallons) for the two.

3. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Don't do it, your Beta will take serious damage.
    A five is too small for either IMO, but I know some people keep Beta's in fives.

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

They would probably be okay in a 55 gallon, but not in a 5 gallon. The ADF will not be able to compete against the betta for food because of their bad eyesight.

5. OP
    OP
    DanielleFish

DanielleFish Well Known Member Member

Wait, what? I thought bettas were good in a five? =o

6. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

People keep them in a five, I personally don't like it. But you can if you want.
    This is only my opinion.

7. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I've never kept a single betta in anything bigger than a 2.5. 5 is way more than enough space.

8. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I think it depends on the animals involved. There are some videos on YouTube that show what appear to be fairly harmonious Betta/ADF relationships. Whether they lasted after the camera stopped rolling is anybody's guess. I've read that feeding the frog is a real problem, though. They're bottom feeders, and if you've got a Betta that will feed from the bottom the frogs just can't get the food before the Betta.

9. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Adf and Betta are not compatible, betta will beat on adf and take all of his food as soon as he learns to dive for it - and he will learn as soon as he realizes there is food on the bottom.

5g is good for betta. 5g can ideally handle 2-3 frogs. But never together.

Another thing is that the frogs are ridiculously hard to keep alive, most of the time because just like shrimp 9/10 of them are going to come to you with parasites.