20 Gallon Tank African Dwarf Frog tank mates

Matt11711

Hi, I'm looking into getting some ADFs and I wanted to ask some people with experience about ADFs. I got some feedback on a thread of mine in stocking, but a lot of the questions that came up were about these frogs.
So, my idea was to have african dwarf frogs with a clown pleco, cherry shrimp, and celestial pearl danios. Some people mentioned that the frogs might eat the danios and the shrimp. I was more worried about the danios eating the food before the frogs can get it.

Should I not go ahead with frogs in a tank like this? I have nothing in the tank currently. I really like the idea of more than just fish in a community tank but I don't want them to eat my fish. I'd be fine with the shrimps getting eaten as long as they could keep their numbers up. Thanks for the input!

DanT

The frogs would literally eat anything they can catch and fit in their mouths, I’m pretty sure your just going to be looking at very expensive frog food with any of those options aside from the pleco. I have heard they house well with gouramis though that’s not personal experience

Upvote 0

Matt11711

The frogs would literally eat anything they can catch and fit in their mouths, I’m pretty sure your just going to be looking at very expensive frog food with any of those options aside from the pleco. I have heard they house well with gouramis though that’s not personal experience
Thanks for that, I'll look into something else to go in this community tank!

Upvote 0

DanT

No worries. Glad to help

Upvote 0

Lucy

Hi welcome to FishLore!
Personally I prefer frogs in a species only tank. They are such endearing little creatures.

If I'm not mistaken, their temperature requirements are different. CPD's are pretty small, it's possible they may be a snack a long with the shrimp.

Something to always keep in mind when stocking. We should do what is best for the species, not what we want.
These two things are quite often not the same.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Matt11711

Hi welcome to FishLore!
Personally I prefer frogs in a species only tank. They are such endearing little creatures.

If I'm not mistaken, their temperature requirements are different. CPD's are pretty small, it's possible they may be a snack a long with the shrimp.

Something to always keep in mind when stocking. We should do what is best for the species, not what we want.
These two things are quite often not the same.

Good luck!
Hi, from what I can tell their temperature requirements are pretty similar. Both would be fine in mid 70s water, with ADFs having a lower range than CPDs. That being said, I've decided that for a variety of reasons ADFs won't work in my tank. Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0

Lucy

That's interesting, given their natural habitat, I would have thought the danio's temp would be lower.
Thanks for the info & good luck

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank African Dwarf Frog Tank
Replies
Views
LenaRose
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lovemyfrogsandsnails