Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tank
2.6 gallon Fluval
Running for 3 months
Filtered and cycled
Kept at 76F
Stocking is one single ADF (she's in quarantine and I'd hoped to move her into my 10 gallon cycled tank after)

Maintenance
30% changes weekly/a little more than weekly with Seachem Prime
It's barebottom except for like 5 pieces of gravel (it didn't used to be barbottom) so I don't have to vacuum the substrate but I use a turkey baster to suck up all detritus on the bottom; started doing 30% changes daily as soon as the ADF started getting sick

*Parameters - Very Important
Tank was instantly cycled using seeded media from another cycled and well-established tank prior to adding the frog
API Master Test Kit
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (but it's cycled; I've just been doing 30% daily changes recently)
pH: 7.4

Feeding
Thawed frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp about 2-3x a week, occasionally I use ZooMed frog and tadpole bites instead but I'd say no more than once every two weeks

Illness & Symptoms
Some reddish spots, torn webbing on foot, bump with some fuzziness, lump on left side of abdomen and puffing out mouth. Was hiding a lot one day but now seems to be behaving normally. I thought she had tattered sheds at one point and was freaking out about chytrid but turns out she was just biting at it and tearing it after it came off in one piece.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I've had this frog since December 3rd and am quarantining her for chytrid. (Originally I had a small male frog with her as well, but he never ate in my care no matter what I tried and passed away about a month later; I think he was sick when I got him but I never figured out what it was.) I last fed this current frog with thawed frozen bloodworms on Sunday and she was fine for the next few days, but Thursday night I noticed a bump on the left side of her abdomen and it seemed to be filled with gas since she kept floating to the surface - she had to wedge herself under some driftwood in order to stay at the bottom. She also kept puffing her mouth up; this was when I started daily water changes even though upon testing the water the parameters were normal. Friday morning she was halfway out of the water when I woke up but went back down when I dripped some water on her with the turkey baster; she seemed a bit better then and could stay at the bottom of the tank but her left side kept floating up a bit so she was kind of tilted. Later that day I noticed a red spot on her chest near her right front foot and also a red spot on the back of her left back leg which has since disappeared; I did another 30% change that night. This morning (Saturday) the red spot on her chest seemed a bit bigger and I noticed some redness on her right front foot as well and a hole in the webbing of her left back leg, as well as a small bump behind her neck which looks a tiny bit fuzzy - I've attached pictures, but I don't know how much it'll show up.

I haven't started any treatments, though I have ordered Maracyn 2 which will arrive on Monday. The only thing I've been doing is the daily 30% water changes since Thursday in the hopes that it was just some issues with water quality, but the API tests didn't show that anything was wrong and the redness just seems to be spreading and the fuzziness appeared this morning despite the water changes. She seemed perfectly healthy when I got her 2.5 months ago and even now seems to be acting fine, though I haven't tried to feed her since last Sunday because I was afraid she somehow had an impaction and I didn't want to make it worse by feeding her before allowing time for her to hopefully somehow pass it; however, even though this morning (Saturday) she's not as bothered by the floating anymore she still has that large bump on her side.

I'm thinking it's potentially red leg/some bacterial thing, constipation/impaction (though I'm not sure what she would be impacted from), and maybe fungus? I'm just at a loss of what to do since it all came on so suddenly. I know tetracycline is the recommended product for red leg, but it doesn't come up on Amazon - API Furan-2 comes up instead, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing? The active ingredient in Furan-2 is Nitrofurazone. I wanted to double check before I ordered it in case it's not safe for frogs. I've also seen methylene blue for fungus - I'm assuming they mean Kordon's methylene blue? Again, I want to make sure it's safe for frogs before I order it.

Below is a picture of the fuzzy bump; it's a bit hard to see but it's definitely there (pls excuse the dust on the outside of the tank). Her mouth is also puffed up here. It's less puffed than it was on Thursday but it's still bothering me since it's been pretty consistently puffed up for a few days now.
ADF Fungus.jpg

Below is a picture of the red spot on her chest; her right front foot is hidden but it also looks a little red. I'll try to attach better pictures when I can; she's sitting behind the driftwood right now. It's definitely more red than it looks in this picture, kind of like a bruise? I think it might have spread up a little bit to her throat but she was only out for a bit so I couldn't really tell if it was redness or just shadow.
ADF Red Leg.jpg

Again, once she's moved out from behind the driftwood I can try to get a better picture of the bump on her left side, the tear in the webbing, and pretty much everything else that's going on with her. Any tips on how to treat everything would be enormously appreciated - I've been trying to get another frog to put in my 10 gallon for so long but none of them have survived the 3-month quarantine no matter what I try. Thanks in advance!

Edit: got a picture of the hole in her webbing, right at the top. The gravel behind her foot is pretty much the size of all of the gravel left in the tank so not sure how she’d be able to get impacted from it. Could constipation from the bloodworms be causing the lump on her side, even if it appeared several days after her eating them?
D1A86F14-2FA3-47D8-B2B0-1A5D3126D8AA.jpeg

Last edited:

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry you’re having trouble.
I gotta say in reading your descriptions, I was expecting your frog to look a lot worse. I know you’re concerned for her, but I’m not seeing the issues you’re describing.
What kind of flow/filtration do you have? Just want to make sure the external issues aren’t related to filter intake or water movement.
How skittish is she? Sometimes when my tank jets a bump (or the floor shakes from kids horsing around) mine goes a bit spastic and swims like mad into the nearest crevice.
The floating is a concern. But a digestive type of blockage or impaction wouldn’t produce air or gas. That would be more likely to come from a gut or body cavity infection.
Re medications, I can only recommend you do your research and choose your weapon. When I had a couple sick frogs a few months back I was frustrated by the lack of info out there on what they tolerate. It’s not the easiest to navigate but wetwebmedia is a good resource for meds. And the one time I wrote them myself, I was pleasantly surprised how fast they helped me.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
it may be something bacterial?? my last frog had some similar symptoms, but was never properly diagnosed or treated. i was going to use api fin & body cure but he died before i could. here's the thread that has some info thay may or may not be useful to you: Is It The Dreaded Chytrid Fungus? Adf

i really hope she pulls through!! i'm sorry she's like this all of a sudden. it's so hecking sad to see them suffer you're right that trying different meds may be a hit or miss. you can only really try something and hope for the best.

Fizzfrog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry you’re having trouble.
I gotta say in reading your descriptions, I was expecting your frog to look a lot worse. I know you’re concerned for her, but I’m not seeing the issues you’re describing.
What kind of flow/filtration do you have? Just want to make sure the external issues aren’t related to filter intake or water movement.
How skittish is she? Sometimes when my tank jets a bump (or the floor shakes from kids horsing around) mine goes a bit spastic and swims like mad into the nearest crevice.
The floating is a concern. But a digestive type of blockage or impaction wouldn’t produce air or gas. That would be more likely to come from a gut or body cavity infection.
Re medications, I can only recommend you do your research and choose your weapon. When I had a couple sick frogs a few months back I was frustrated by the lack of info out there on what they tolerate. It’s not the easiest to navigate but wetwebmedia is a good resource for meds. And the one time I wrote them myself, I was pleasantly surprised how fast they helped me.
Thanks for the reply. The redness and fuzziness just don’t really show up well on camera but it’s definitely there, I don’t know if it’s early stages of something bad or if it’s something that would resolve on its own with clean water which is a frustrating and stressful situation. If it’s something bad then I want to deal with it early, but if I’m just being paranoid I don’t want to medicate if I don’t need to. But the medication doesn’t get here until Monday so I suppose there’s not much I can do until then anyway :/.

The floating has been getting a lot better and she can stay on the bottom now - I see something this morning which I’m 99% sure is poop so hopefully if there was some issue related to constipation this means it’s getting better. I know peas are good for fish constipation, are peas okay for frogs as well? Not sure if I’ll be able to get any since I’m in college and on the meal plan (aka I don’t buy my own groceries and have no stove to cook on) but if they might help I’ll do my best. If it’s an infection, could Maracyn 2 potentially help i.e. is it worth it and safe to try it when it gets here on Monday? I’ll try writing to wetwebmedia as well.

I highly doubt it’s related to the filter flow; it’s on its lowest setting and both the intake and output are baffled by sponges. She doesn’t have any trouble swimming even right next to the output and when she’s floating she’ll gently drift towards the intake if she’s close to it and doesn’t do anything to move away but otherwise she can burble with no problem.

She’s not too skittish. I cut the cube of frozen food on the desk her tank is sitting on so light thumps actually bring her out since she’s learned that it means food; if a drawer accidentally slams then she’ll definitely be pretty spooked but that’s about it, and I don’t use those desk drawers often. I suppose it might have happened though, and she injured herself darting into hiding?

it may be something bacterial?? my last frog had some similar symptoms, but was never properly diagnosed or treated. i was going to use api fin & body cure but he died before i could. here's the thread that has some info thay may or may not be useful to you: Is It The Dreaded Chytrid Fungus? Adf

i really hope she pulls through!! i'm sorry she's like this all of a sudden. it's so hecking sad to see them suffer you're right that trying different meds may be a hit or miss. you can only really try something and hope for the best.
Hi midna, thanks for replying, it really is tough to see her like this. I’m unsure where to get tetracycline - as per my original post, on Amazon the thing that comes up when I search it is Furan-2, and I’m not sure that’s the same thing. I’ll order the general cure and hope it arrives in time to help her.

Edit: meant to say fin and body cure, oops

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the red marks etc. are mild enough that they don’t show up on camera, they probably won’t require medication. But I certainly hear you with regards to making a decision early (vs waiting too long), and that’s not something I can give firm direction on, sadly.
Personally, I would take the floating improvement along with the generally mild nature of the other things and see those collectively as a positive sign. Keep up the clean water regime, feed lightly, and continue to observe.

Fizzfrog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the responses. She passed a few minutes ago.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom