African Dwarf Frog: stuck in filter intake

1. H

Heidijomac New Member Member

Hello everyone! I have a 37 gal freshwater tank. I am new to the hobby (three months) but absolutely love it so far! I have a darling little frog who I found just this morning stuck to the intake valve of my filter. Both of my babies little feet were completely entangled in the valve! After turning off the filter and disentangling his little legs he is amazingly still alive! I feel so bad for this poor little fella as his legs and feet are all bright red. Is there anything I can do to help him? Is he going to die? I have separated him into a little baby box that I use for my Platys when they have babies (17 so far!) to make sure the other fish in my tank do not try to pick on him. Is this all I can do?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Awww, how frightening!

Usually healthy frogs and fish don't get sucked into the filter intake.
    Were his legs red before he got stuck?
    Was he acting and eating normally?

You did the right thing by moving him away from the other fish and out of the strong current.
    Other than the red legs and feet how is he acting?

Keep the water in the box really clean to help prevent infection.
    Hopefully he just needs some time to recover.

Is it possible for you to get a small tank for him?
    A 37g with other fish isn't an ideal environment for an ADF.

3. OP
    OP
    H

It is amazing because just last night he was highly active (he is the most active out of my other frogs (two others), eating, and jumping about. No discoloration at all until after I pulled him out of the filter. I have no idea why he was stuck in there. It just doesn't make sense. At first I thought he was dead, but now he is moving about quite well in the little box I put him in. He just looks so sore! I could get him a small tank. I didn't know that 37 gal was too much for my frogs! The lady at the local pet store suggested them for my tank! This is very upsetting as I would be crushed if something happened to any of them! Perhaps you can tell me if my tank is properly populated. I have 1 angel, 3 scissortails, 3 Bumblebee Gobys, 1 Pleco, 2 catfish, 2 Zebras, 2 Blue Ram Angels, 7 Platys, 2 Catfish, 5 tetras, and 3 dwarf Gouramis. This is what my local shop suggested for me. I put them in the tank after it was properly nitrated over a time span of 2 months. They all seems healthy. I have had no deaths, and I change out 20% of the tank water every week. Oh, she also told me to put 1 t. salt in the tank per gal. since the Bumbles need brackish water. She said that this is what she does in all of her tanks and that she would never have a freshwater tank without some salt. Is this ok? I am so glad I found this forum and I thank you for all of your help. In the meantime I will be pricing out smaller tanks for my frogs!

4. Lucy

I'm sorry you were misinformed. Most stores don't know a whole lot about ADF's.
    They won't do well in a brackish tank and really, the tank mates aren't compatible with them.

Salt is highly debatable.
    Some people swear by it, some won't use it at all.

Glad to hear he's moving around.
    That's a good sign. :)

How many do you have?
    One thing you'll need to be concerned about is getting a new tank cycled before adding the frogs.

Here is our https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/amphibians/36417-care-sheet-african-dwarf-frogs.html

I hope you find it helpful.

Please keep us posted on your little frogger. :)

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!!!!
    I hope lil froggie does ok!! Lucy is a froggie queen :)

I would like to suggest some things to try though with the others :)

Salt with plecos, angels, frogs, catfish, gouramis, and MOST FW fish, is more of an irritant than a benefit. Although some members may use it, its not needed. I always remember being at the beach and how it reacts to my skin, which im sure is allot of the same for fish scales. Again you will have a few opinions on this, but for the health of your fish, I would stop using it and start with a few daily water changes to ride the tank of it. Salt wont evaporate it has to be removed. If anything, maybe get a new tank for your gobys? Ive never kept them so not sure on their needs.

Another concern I would have is with 3 gouramis in a 37g tank. They can be very territorial with their own kind so keep a close eye on them.

Most of us have been where you are, from awful fish store advice. I hope you get some great help from our members, because the site has been amazing for all my mess ups :) Good Luck!

6. OP
    OP
    H

I have 3 ADFs. Hopefully they will survive long enough to purchase and set up and balance a new tank. I sure am attached to them. Thank you so much for all of your support and information.

7. OP
    OP
    H

I wish I would have found this site before I set up my tank! I hate the idea of "live and learn" on living creatures!! It sounds like I definitely have a lot more "learning" to do yet. My gouramis seem to be doing fine. Perhaps it is because they each have found their own little niche that they seem to hibernate to. I have never seen them be mean to each other. I will keep a keen eye on them though. At this rate I am going to have tanks all over the place just to recover from the mistakes made in my first tank! Thanks for your advice.

8. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Thats what we call MTS (Multiple tank syndrome) ...Welcome to our crazy world!!! Again, MOST of us have been where you are ...your so not alone

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Yeah, you and the other 25,000 members!

Welcome to the site, You do have several problems with your tank, but you have gotten some good advice. Best of luck, and feel free to ask any additional questions you may have. Everyone here is eager to help out and no one will think you're being a pain for asking a bunch of questions. (Odd as it may sound, we actually like it!)

10. Lucy

How's he doing today?