African Dwarf Frog Sick?

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by TrinFaye, Jun 14, 2019.

1. TrinFayeNew MemberMember

I'm still an amateur, so apologizes if I didn't answer some of these correctly.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    20 gallons

How long has the tank been running?
    Since December 2015

Does it have a filter?
    Yes

Does it have a heater?
    Yes

What is the water temperature?
    80 degrees Fahrenheit

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    2 African Dwarf Frogs

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    I've been very inconsistent, I tried to do a half water change every other week but sometimes it's only once a month as I easily lose track of time.

How much of the water do you change?
    50%

What do you use to treat your water?
    API stress coat

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
    I vacuum the places where I suspect they dropped the most food

*Parameters - Very Important
    Sorry I don't know how to test any of the pH levels or ammonia, I don't think I have the equipment

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    They get fed every day, occasionally I skip a day

How much do you feed your fish?
    about 3-6 thawed frozen blood worms, and some dry pellets. The "sick" frog doesn't eat the pellets as often because it's very hard to get him to go to the dish where I drop them (this has always been the case)

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    The pellets are Fluval insect larvae fish food

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    frozen blood worms

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    Since around January 2016, I don't know how old he was when I got him

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    He has been skinny with ragged flippers for a long time, the noticeable paleness happened either today or yesterday

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    He is suddenly much more light and pale than he normally is. He is much skinnier than his tank mate despite eating similar amounts, and the webbing between his toes was torn at some point and doesn't seem to be growing back.

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    No

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    Behavior hasn't changed at all, he's still eating and moving about the same.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
    The biggest concern is that he is suddenly much more light and pale colored than normal. His appetite and everything is the same but the color change very startling, especially since he was always darker colored than his tank mate. It's possible there are other things wrong with him as well, I guess I was just hoping they would get better in time because his appetite and activity were never affected. He has been skinny for a very long time, I didn't notice until I bought another frog to compare him to about a year ago. I've since tried feeding him more and he's gotten a bit better, but not much. He is much thinner than his tank mate despite eating about the same (I have to feed them the blood worms by hand with tongs to make sure they both eat. For the past couple months I've been giving the thinner one more worms than the other.) He has had torn webbing on his back feet for a long time too, and his toes curl in slightly. When I first got the other frog, I saw him bite at his toes (mistaking them for food) so I thought that was the cause, but it's been a long time since I've seen that happen so I'm no longer so sure. His toe webbing hasn't been fully grown back in months (maybe their webbing can't grow back, I don't know) I bring this up because I'm suddenly wondering if he's really been sick for a long time and this color change is just another symptom of something I've been neglecting

Attached Files:

2. CMBWell Known MemberMember

How long has he been pale? It could be a sign of sickness, but ADFs turn pale when they shed, so if he's eating and acting fine and it's only been like that for a day or so, I'd give him a couple of days to see if anything changes.

3. KjeldsenValued MemberMember

The frog in question looks like a typical male. The larger one is female, and these body types are normal. Females will generally be more aggressive eaters, but he looks healthy. May be getting ready to shed his skin, which they do from time to time. Don't freak out if you see him doing this ;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. TrinFayeNew MemberMember

Wow seriously I feel stupid, the fish store I bought the bigger frog from told me it was a male and that there wasn't usually a noticeable difference between genders....
    But I've never noticed either of them turn so pale before shedding before and I've had him for 3 years so I'm still kind of weirded out. I guess I'll just wait and see if it goes away?