African dwarf frog reoccurring fungus

oliviawilliam2017

one of my frogs has a reoccurring fungus. a little over a week ago one of my girls had a small fungus spot on her lower back, so i put her in a quarantine tank. the fungus fell off on its own, so i did a meth blue bath for her. i left her in quarantine for a week and nothing ever returned, so i decided to put her back in the tank about 3 days ago. the fungus has now returned in the same spot, and i’m not sure if it’s even worth it to quarantine her. she’s showing no signs of illness. i might just use diluted hydrogen peroxide to remove the fungus, do a MB bath and put her back into the main tank. what do you guys think? is it possible that this is just a small injury and it’s healing? i’m just really confused, normally if an aquatic animal has a fungus it gets worse, it doesn’t just disappear and come back a week and a half later.

oliviawilliam2017

If you could fill out the emergency template that would be helpful

My first though is water quality.
Tank 10 gallons
What is the water volume of the tank? unsure, it’s just a rimless 10 gallon rectangle tank
How long has the tank been running? months
Does it have a filter? yes, HOB
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 4 african dwarf frogs and two amano shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every saturday
How much of the water do you change? 1.5 gallons out
What do you use to treat your water? prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no, but this filter media is over a year old
What do you use to test the water? api liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:5ppm
pH:7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? they eat monday, wednesday, friday
How much do you feed your fish? i leave a bunch of food in their glass dish, it’s plenty to fill their stomachs
What brand of food do you feed your fish? i feed frog pellets, frozen bloodworms (which i have just learned is not good for them) and frozen brine shrimp
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? a little over a week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? very small white cotton like patch on lower back
Have you started any treatment for the illness? yes and no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? her appearance and behavior haven’t changed at all

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) i know how to treat her, but i’m really just wondering if this is a situation where quarantine is even necessary. i’m not sure if this is actually a fungus or if it’s just an injury that is trying to heal. for some background info, one of my bettas (from another tank) is getting over saprolegnia, so this could possibly be that even though i’m super careful about cross contamination. i’ll attach images of her so you can see what exactly i’m talking about
406F6870-2A0E-4D12-8350-2C48357F2356.jpeg
00B042D0-938C-435C-8B6C-CD1DDBCB8881.jpeg
If you could fill out the emergency template that would be helpful

My first though is water quality.
hi, after testing again i’ve realized that my ammonia is at 0.5ppm in the frog tank :( my other tanks are all at 0ppm, i just checked. what would be causing a spike like this in a cycled established tank?

Upvote 0

MasterPython

Are all the shrimp accounted for? A dead shrimp might cause a spike. I would do some extra water changes for the next few weeks. I don't think you need to gravel vac each time but diluting whatever is in the tank can help.

If it is coming back in the same spot I think there is an injury there. I don't know what a frog safe antifungal cream would be but someone should chime in.

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

Are all the shrimp accounted for? A dead shrimp might cause a spike. I would do some extra water changes for the next few weeks. I don't think you need to gravel vac each time but diluting whatever is in the tank can help.

If it is coming back in the same spot I think there is an injury there. I don't know what a frog safe antifungal cream would be but someone should chime in.
yea they’re both are alive, i honestly think it’s because i wasn’t vaccuming the substrate good enough. i did two water changes yesterday (took two gallons out then about 7 hours later took another gallon) so they’d be okay overnight. and i’m thinking it’s just an injury too, i really feel like if she did have a fungal or bacterial infection it would be much worse by now, or another frog would be sick

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
oliviawilliam2017
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views