African dwarf frog question..

LittleYeti

I have 4 african dwarf frogs that I raised since they were little. I thought they were all boys, but Hoggal turned out to be female. Anyway, they all try to mate with her at different times. About a week ago she was laying eggs and one of my males were holding her and fertilizing them (I actually tried to hatch a few but the tadpoles lasted only a day or two before they died off). Anyway, after she laid her eggs, the next 2 days the other boys were hanging onto her and trying to mate even though she had no more eggs left. Should I split them up into 2 tanks, one with 2 boys and one with Hoggal and a boy? I dont know of they are overwhelming her. Advice?

HKsai

Definitely separate them if you can't increase the female to male ratio.

LittleYeti

Definitely separate them if you can't increase the female to male ratio.
Thank you. I dont want to get more frogs because I cant increase the size of my tank just yet, but I have an extra 10 gallon tank and an extra filter somewhere around here (and at least 2 or 3 extra heaters... I am a chronic non-returner when it comes to buying stuff). Do you think 2 per tank is enough of a clan to keep them happy? Maybe I should try to get 2 more to keep it 3 and 3... oof. The problem for me is that the stores have no idea which ones are male v female and I dont know that ill be able to tell at first glance either. A lot of the time they are being sold before adulthood. Actually, Hoggal was my first and I didnt know she was a girl until she grew much bigger and finally started releasing eggs. As far as I can tell, this "batch" was the first. Welp, I have some decisions to make. For now I will seperate them, I know I need to do a tank cleaning for them today anyway.

If you or anyone else has any ideas to keep them happy and healthy, id love to hear it. Also, do you think I have time to cycle a tank for a few weeks beforehand, or should I seperate them immediately? I know it takes a long time, but if she is suffering I dont want to stay ignorant to it. Hoggal has kind of been a favorite of mine, partly because she is easy to identify haha. The other one that I can tell right away is my guy Quasimodo because he has a goofy face from either a birth defect or an injury, but its getting harder and harder to tell him apart from the others unless I look at his face straight on. He had a mouth problem so bubbles and food would escape out of a "dent" he had, but its been slowly healing into more of a bump/scar which i am happy to report. I used to have to help him eat or else his food would escape and he would have a hard time finding it again.

Besides the armpit bumps and size, are there any sex indicators anyone knows of that could help me find a female?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220411-235657.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220411-235657.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2
  • VideoCapture_20220324-150443.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220324-150443.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 2
  • VideoCapture_20220324-150443.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220324-150443.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 2
  • VideoCapture_20220324-214838.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220324-214838.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2

Lucy

Besides the armpit bumps and size, are there any sex indicators anyone knows of that could help me find a female?
It's my understanding the the female will have a little more of pronounced bump where the tail used to be. It's something I noticed and was taught when I first started keeping them.

Imo, not as reliable as the male glands. They're usually too young to sex at the store.

I've kept uneven ratios but never noticed any real stress when mating. The fem is more apt to release the eggs with the male there to fertilize them.

Your little ones are cuties for sure!

LittleYeti

It's my understanding the the female will have a little more of pronounced bump where the tail used to be. It's something I noticed and was taught when I first started keeping them.

Imo, not as reliable as the male glands. They're usually too young to sex at the store.

I've kept uneven ratios but never noticed any real stress when mating. The fem is more apt to release the eggs with the male there to fertilize them.

Your little ones are cuties for sure!

Thank you so much! I forgot about the tail bump. When I first read that online, I thought their butts looked the same and couldn't tell what the internet what trying to show me. After time getting to know them all I can tell exactly what you are talking about!

I dont know for sure that she is stressed, but when a male hangs onto her a day or two after she had already released her eggs, I just wonder if they're both frustrated because, well, she has a frog on her back and he doesn't understand why she won't release her eggs to him. I dont want them to develop a complex haha. there have been times I fed her while a male is still holding onto her. She kind of just ignores them and goes about what she feels like, but I can imagine it being quite annoying.

Im sorry to single you out Lucy, but i want to ask you a question since you have adfs--a huge problem for me is over feeding... I am wondering how you do it? I have frog/tadpole pellets that they eat every day, and they get bloodworms and brine shrimp 2-4 days a week. I have to clean my tank so much though because I think I see that they lose their food and can't find it again and just keep begging me for more. People use a bowl or tray, is that what you would recommend? I am getting by but i know I am doing it the hard way, and I know I am giving them too much food. They like to hold onto plants with their back feet so they can pop out and catch it while it falls. Obviously they miss quite a bit, and everything they miss hits the gravel and I end up cleaning it up afterwards.. plus sometimes they will have plump bellies except for one and I end up adding even more food to make sure he gets some too... as I type this I already know I need to put some kind of feeding tray in there, but how much food and how often would you recommend for 4 frogs?

Thank you! They really are all so cute. The female is Hoggal, the boys are Quasimodo, Prince (of the Land of Stench), and Clyde Frog. They are fantastic singers, and even though its kind of gross, I love finding their little skin suits when I am cleaning up after they shed their skin.. its like finding little froggie pajamas

I am attaching a few more photos for you because I just like to share their faces with the world. When I am interacting with them, my ferrets can get very jealous and will lay at my knees and stare at me for belly rubs, so I am including a photo of that too haha.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220319-104011.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220319-104011.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 3
  • VideoCapture_20220319-104732.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220319-104732.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2
  • VideoCapture_20220320-044707.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220320-044707.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220325_165743.jpg
    20220325_165743.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 1
  • VideoCapture_20220324-214535.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220324-214535.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1
  • VideoCapture_20220411-202607.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220411-202607.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2
  • VideoCapture_20220411-014522.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220411-014522.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 3

Lucy

Love the pictures. that first one really shows an ADF's personalty! Hard to resist that ferret belly.
My husband had one when we met. I had a small dog. They became best friends running all around his apartment.together.:)

When I had a couple of frogs I was very meticulous in feeding. I used a small terra cotta dish and watched to make sure they got food. (pellets at that time)
I found that doesn't work well with frozen brine shrimp or blood worms. They are too light. Either the filte current moves them or a frog will kick them out of the dish.

At some point when I had some small young ones I would spot feed bloodworms through an old filter intake tube. It's amazing how quickly they learned to swim up into it. A very easy way to make sure they got their fair share.

Once they got too big for that it was every frog for them selves. I'd give enough that every frog could have several (thawed) frozen brine shrimp.
I would drop a few here, a few there and they'd scramble around and eat.

If youngsters were in with their parents, I'd be sure to spot feed until they got big enough to scavenge for themselves.

So with all that written I guess it comes down to their size, personality (because there's always that piggy!) if everyone is getting some and adapt as you need to however suits your frogs eating habits.

Oh, and maybe 1/2 cube for 4 frogs depending on how many words are in a 1/2 cube lol
Sounds like you already have them figured out though :)

Froggy pajamas
teehee.gif

LittleYeti

Love the pictures. that first one rally shows an ADF's personalty! Hard to resist that ferret belly.
My husband had one when we met. I had a small dog. They became best friends running all around his apartment.together.:)

When I had a couple of frogs I was very meticulous in feeding. I used a small terra cotta dish and watched to make sure they got food. (pellets at that time)
I found that doesn't work well with frozen brine shrimp or blood worms. They are too light. Either the filte current moves them or a fog will kickthem out of the dish.

At some point when I had some small young ones I would spot feed bloodworms through an old filter intake tube. It's amazing how quickly they learned to swim up into it. A very easy way to make sure they got their fair share.

Once they got too big for that it was every frog for them selves. I'd give enough that every frog could have several (thawed) frozen brine shrimp.
I would drop a few here, a few there and they'd scramble around and eat.

If youngsters were in with their parents, I'd be sure to spot feed until they got big enough to scavenge for themselves.

So with all that written I guess it comes down to their size, personality (because there's always that piggy!) if everyone is getting some and adapt as you need to however suits your frogs eating habits.

Oh, and maybe 1/2 cube for 4 frogs depending on how many words are in a 1/2 cube lol
Sounds like you already have them figured out though :)

Froggy pajamas
teehee.gif
Thank you so much for your well thought response, I really do appreciate it! I will take your advice and troubleshoot as I go.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Question
Replies
Views
Analisemcg
Replies
Views
KimmyT
Replies