African Dwarf Frog Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by ChapouJunior, Apr 8, 2017.

1. ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior Valued Member Member

So about a week ago or a little bit more, I noticed my 2 adf's "doing it". Well, I wasn't sure at first but I googled and found out they were since of the positions and that they are male/female. I noticed today she seems inflated. I wonder if she's pregnant, and if she is, what do I do? It's a 20g with a DG, Bolivian ram, 5 guppies, 8 nerite snails and of course the 2 adfs. I would like the babies to live if I can do that?

2. mindcrypt6

mindcrypt6 New Member Member

Well..
    ..I can't help in the way you need but I desperately need an been searching for a couple dwarf frog's for ever....cld when all is OK maybe part with some for currency of course. Sorry but had to jump on this opportunity and hope all goes ok

3. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

With these frogs fertilisation occurs outside the body at the point when the eggs are laid on the surface of the water.

After the eggs are laid the female frog will be thinner.

It is possible that the female is developing eggs inside her body in response to the male's attention but this would take a number of days to achieve.

Females are generally plumper than the males and it may be that you are noticing this since their behaviour drew you to observe them more closely.

4. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

Oh okay, I see, might be that then. Because last time I saw them I tought one was killing the other one but when I looked it up it seems like they were mating, but I don't really know a lot on them. Thanks for the information :)!

I manage to take two pictures of her but it's always moving so it's pretty hard haha, [​IMG][​IMG]

I don't know if you can see, but it has weird like round shape on her side and it seems like theres blood on it, is that normal?

5. Redshark1

Yes I can make that out. That is definitely a concern. Mine have never had that.

With these frogs their skin is very sensitive and water quality is as important as it is to fish.

That gravel also looks a bit rough. I use rounded gravel. But that may not be the cause.

On the plus side, she looks well fed but not bloated.

6. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

Yes I fed her with my turkey baster just before taking the picture :). But oh, I hope its not a gravel problem... I can't really change it, but I know it's kinda rough, thats why I didn't bought corydoras too, I went with adf's because I tought there not so sensitive... My water parameters are perfect, 0,0, and around 10ppm nitrates. Heavily planted and fishes don't bother my adf's at all... I put some stress coat in the water, hope it will maybe help healing, should i put salt or something ?

7. Redshark1

I don't use salt.

I don't use medications.

Once you learn how to provide good water conditions fish and frogs stay healthy as their unstressed immune systems protect them and any injuries heal.

One thing that I am convinced will help these small 20 gallon tanks is changing 10% (a bucket full, no more) of the water each day as part of your daily routine.

As usual little and often is best.

I add the correct dose of prime for the 2 gallons (2 drops from a dropper).

8. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

Allright, I'll do that then! I was changing it twice a week but I'll do it more, thank you for the help :)!

9. Redshark1

You may see eggs on the surface at some stage but I doubt it as your fish will eat them.

The eggs hatch into tadpoles which are carnivorous which means they need a live food source of tiny creatures. I've created such an environment for them and other fish fry I've reared.

The adult frogs will eat the eggs and tadpoles.

As ADFs are relatively inexpensive and available its simply easier to buy them than rear them but it is a good and interesting experience to rear the tadpoles.

10. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

Ohhh okay I see. I won't bother with eggs then.. But now I'm really concerned... [​IMG]
    Look at that! This is not good. I don't know what it is, but it's really scary. I hope it's not fungus or something. I don't have a quarantine tank so I don't know what to do... I know it's not clear but there's some white stuff it looks like pimples or something..

11. Redshark1

Yes that pic's a lot clearer. There seems to be a growth on the frog. I don't know how to describe it other than a proliferation of tissue. It may be outside the control of the body i.e. a tumour / cancer.

I can't imagine that you can treat it other than provide good conditions and see how it goes. There's a chance the frog may be able to live with it.

I don't know if it is contagious (spread to other animals) but on balance I think this is less likely.

I think it would be painful to her if the male grabbed her there so I think it would be unlikely she will feel like mating and laying eggs.

12. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

Allright... I'll watch her closely, hope she will be fine and that it's not contagious... Thanks again for the help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice