African dwarf frog plus new tank

Jzang1987

Reaction score
HI all .... I'm setting up a new small 5 gallon tank for my bedroom... I already have an existing 30 gallon in my living thriving with all sorts of tetras. I have a couple of questions here...

Setup of new fish tank: Should I use water from my other tank for this one and maybe throw an old filter in there for about a week to jump start the tank? Or just add new water and let it run?
As far as the African dwarf frogs go.... This tank is a vertical one. The height is 14 inches high. Is that too high for them as I read that they come up every once in awhile for some air.
And gravel.... Can I use sand? Ive never used it before and would like to venture into that, since my other tank is gravel. I like the appearance of the sand.

Thanks all for helping me out here

This is the 5 gallon tank for the frogs. Screenshot_20200219-115953.png

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can use sand, if you go with a frog or two I suggest plants and a bit of drift wood angled upwards.

For feeding them; I strongly suggest beefheart.
I keep one in a 75 gal community so it can and does work.

Goodluck

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The depth isn't ideal but shouldn't be a problem, and they love sand. Much easier for them to find their food since it lays on top. The most important thing is that the tank is fully cycled before you put them in because they're very sensitive to any ammonia. Since you already have a tank running that shouldn't be a problem, just borrow some of its biofilter to get the party started. Whether you use any of its water won't matter since it doesn't contain the needed bacteria. Have fun, you will love them!

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just got one and I read a recommendation to not use sand or fine gravel as they can accidentally swallow it which may cause an intestinal blockage.

OP
Jzang1987

Jzang1987

Reaction score
Hmmmm.. I'm glad I didn't buy sand yet. I wonder what would be better then.

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Play sand or pool filter sand should be fine, but small pebbles can cause problems if swallowed. In the wild they probably swallow a lot of mud and sand with their meals.

New Threads