African Dwarf Frog Photos

1. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

i know there's already a thread for amphibian photos, but i wanted to make one specifically for adfs because i love the little guys! plus i'm feeling really nostalgic.

show me your froggies, past and present!!!

my two african dwarf frogs, recently deceased (rip): zelda (male) & midna (female)

midna always liked to get all up in zelda's personal space

20180525_223841.jpg

20180525_223532.jpg

the boy

20180514_211025.jpg

18-05-14-21-32-10-730_deco.jpg

the girl

20180525_223942.jpg

midna being a "clever girl" a la jurassic park (csn you spot her? :))

20180525_224014.jpg

zelda was very perturbed at first when i introduced midna into his tank after being alone for 5 years. he remained hidden in his trex (midna was in his trex too at this point, on the other side)

20180514_211944.jpg

but then zelda warmed up to her, sang her a ballad, and they caboodled just a few hours after they first met

18-05-14-21-30-53-285_deco.jpg

i can understand why; zelda was super ripped (he has PECS!)

18-05-14-21-33-13-073_deco.jpg

2. Akeath

Akeath Valued Member Member

I have only had mine for a couple months, so I haven't been able to capture their full cuteness. But here are some pics I have so far:

This is Bibble cutely hiding in a shell. These particular frogs almost never hide, but I was moving their aquarium from my old apartment to the new place, and they were scared. (That's also why the water level in the picture is so low and the lighting is bad). I rushed to take a picture of him using the shell while I had the chance. He's gone back to ignoring it since then.
    20180420_192513.jpg

Here is Fripple on the gravel, my black beauty Kashi inside the cave, and their tankmate Tiki the Tiger Nerite Snail. This was when I first got them, so they are smaller.
    20180324_151820.jpg

And my lovely dark Kashi sticking his nose in the gravel for some reason, having grown quite a bit since the last picture:
    20180601_211252.jpg

Here's Fripple practicing his bizarre yoga. It's hard to tell from the picture, but his front legs are actually resting against the tank glass, in addition to balancing on the ground and the decor.
    20180601_211238.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    midna

yay!!!! i love them

4. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Very nice but one thing just FYI. That snail is a Zebra nerite, not a Tiger.

Midna, I love the names from my favorite video game series of all time, The Legend of Zelda. I have all the games on my Wii U system and play them regularly . I may be 70 years old but I still love my games. I have been playing World of Warcraft since November of 2005 and am still going. I just bought the latest expansion.

(One thing though, in the games Zelda is a girl. The male protagonist is Link)

5. OP
    OP
    midna

haha, i know. i thought zelda was a girl when i first got him, but i finally realized he was a boy after a while when he developed armpit glands and wouldn't stop buzzing. i didn't feel right changing his name at that point (link was an option), so i just stuck with zelda. i never called him by his name anyway; usually he was just "frog," "froggy," "frogger" or "boy." i named him zelda because i initially put him in my former roommate's tank with a tiny green spotted puffer she named ganon, and he kept picking on the frog. i took him out after a day and got him his own container to save him from being puffer food.

i was going to continue the tradition of naming frogs after zelda characters but i'm done with frogs at the moment. i might name my future betta after sidon, but it depends on what name i feel suits him best! to be honest, i've only played ocarina of time (multiple, multiple times) but i'm familiar with the other games. which is your favourite?

6. babiimoore

babiimoore Well Known Member Member

IMG_0336.jpg IMG_0391.jpg IMG_0382.jpg

7. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past are my 2 favorites. And of course the original game which was groundbreaking.

Love the name Ganon for the puffer. It's perfect.