African Dwarf Frog Issues

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Mum, Jul 21, 2015.

1. M

Mum Valued Member Member

Help! I got two ADFs from the pet store last week. They both were dark, good sized and fast, so I thought they looked pretty healthy.

A week later one of the guys developed a fuzzy foot, which I noticed he stopped using. I separated him, and have tested his water religiously, but the fuzzy and discoloration seems to be growing.

The tank he was in is 10 gallons, has one Molly in it, a live plant. The water has tested good, not great, but good. The ammonia has been under .5, and I'm trying to get it down to zero.

The other frog is fine, active and eating.

This guy ate when hand fed last night and is moving around. I hope I can save him...but I'm not sure what's wrong with his foot!

Ideas? Suggestions?

IMG_0129.jpg

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Lucy has some ADFs, I'm sure she can help you out! :)

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Mum welcome to FishLore!

I'm so sorry your frog isn't well.
    Sadly, once some illness gets hold of an ADF it's very hard to get rid of.
    If you can get some maroxy, that might help.

Good luck and keep us posted.

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Greetings and welcome :;hi1

I hope this works out for you.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

Thank you. Any idea what caused it? I'm kicking myself wondering if it's something I did wrong...

It doesn't make it better if it was from the pet store, but at least I know it wasn't me that did it.

I also read that peroxide might help, so I've rubbed a little on him each day, gently. He does not like it and I can hear it bubbling when it touches that fuzzy part.

6. Lucy

It sounds like you are up on your water conditions. What are the readings?

7. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

Hi Lucy,

I just had it checked at a second pet store and all they said was that my ammonia was still between 0 and .5 and to keep working on getting it down to 0.

The Molly is happy as can be and so is the other frog, if that means anything. I'm super new at all this and was provided a lot of bad information to start...but now things seem good in the tank. The frogs were the main reason I wanted to start, but I didn't realize that they were

The sick one is still doing good in his quarantine (of sorts). Eyes are clear, but leg is still not looking good. I did a search for maroxy, but could not find it at any of the local pet stores. I'm going to order some, but I'm worried it won't get here fast enough to make a difference.

8. Lucy

Try Fritz industries. (I think that's what it's called)
    Maroxy is very hard to find in the stores now.

Please don't blame yourself. These thing happen.

9. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and hoping your frog recovers. Alison

10. marijo

marijo Well Known Member Member

Hello Mum

Please don't blame yourself, some frogs have weaker immune system than others, he was probably already sick when you got him, just not showing any signs. You may want to continue with peroxide while waiting for the Maroxy, it would not hurt. Hope your frog will recover

11. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

My poor frog passed on yesterday. But the other is good and ate all of the fry my fish just had yesterday. Ah the circle of life! LOL

12. Lucy

I'm so sorry you lost the little guy.
    Once things progress like on your ADF it's rare that we can save them.
    Some fungal and bacterial infections move so quickly.
    Like marijo said he was probably already ill, just now showing outward signs.

Glad to hear your remaining frog is doing well. :)

13. marijo

marijo Well Known Member Member

That is so sad, sorry for your lost :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice