African Dwarf Frog In Trouble

BitsNbobs
HI ADF people

One of my older frogs, "Big Girl", seems stressed and, this morning when I got up and turned on the lights in the 20 gallon established tank, I noticed a white pimple /bump on one leg.

So is she in peril or should I just "keep an eye on it"?

I know nothing, *zero* about diagnosing /treating frogs, but I will do whatever I can to save her life, as she is my favorite and oldest frog (8 mos. old).

KeyboardCat
Is it fuzzy? If so, it's probably a fungal infection. Pics would also be helpful.

BitsNbobs
see below

BitsNbobs
Noo, no, it looks just like a big whitehead! I tend to agree with you though, Cat, thanks, because, all I've been able to find on it points to fungal; but it's definitely NOT fuzzy....I'm really concerned not only abt the pimple, but abt her obvious stress. It's driving me nuts!!

I've never seen her THIS stressed before.

KeyboardCat
It's probably a fungus. When my Silver Dollar Tetra had mouth rot, in the first day or two, it looked like a white pimple. Around 3-4 days afterwards, it became fuzzy. It has recovered, fortunately, but left untreated, fungus can become fatal.

BitsNbobs
So finally, this is the action I took this afternoon
...first, all morning she appeared to be in trauma--i.e., frantically wiggling and bobbing for air at the surface of the water in between the two filters and the heater. I got her out of there and carefully took her in my hand and put her into a sml. plastic glass, as you can see in the 1st photo. She's the only gentle one of the 4; anyway, she was ok until I tried to position her for a swab of diluted food grade hydrogen peroxide to the pimple on her leg. She hopped out of my hand into the bathroom sink that I had already lined with paper towels just in case, and she did.
I put her back in the tank; and, now, she's floating in a corner taking in air at the surface but not bobbing, not struggling as much as before, just staying still. I have a 1 gallon tank to isolate her in but no heater. If she's still alive tomorrow, I'll go to Petco and get a minI heater and maybe some medication.,

...but at the moment, I just feel so helpless and depressed.

Attachments

• IMG_4715.JPG
    IMG_4715.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4716.JPG
    IMG_4716.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4743.JPG
    IMG_4743.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4732.JPG
    IMG_4732.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 83
BitsNbobs
The only thing I know of that I can do, if it's meant to be, and she survives the night, is go to Petco tomorrow morning and get her some fungus medication and a heater and put her in isolation; like you say, and treat her for the fungus.

Thanks for the support Cat/x

KeyboardCat
The only thing I know of that I can do, if it's meant to be, and she survives the night, is go to Petco tomorrow morning and get her some fungus medication and a heater and put her in isolation; like you say, and treat her for the fungus.

Thanks for the support Cat/x
No problem. If it's not fungus, I honestly have no clue what it could be. I hope your frog recovers.

BitsNbobs
Fingers crossed, thanks bCat.

Hey, I found a way to get the diluted peroxide on her tonight whereby soaking an organic cosmetic round in warm peroxide and placing her on top of it. She even let me wrap her in it and stayed with me for as long as I wanted her to.

Like I say, she's the gentle, sweet one, and she's given me 8 months of enjoyment; but, I obviously would really like her to give me, minimum, at least 8 more months. The model pet!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Poll
Replies
Views
aquafrogg
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Shifton
Replies